PDA

View Full Version : Yet another router question

Doyle Alley
05-06-2006, 9:35 PM
I've been seeing lots of questions and answers lately about choices in purchasing and using routers. In all of the discussions, I've yet to see anyone talk about variable speed. Let's assume that you have a big powerfull variable speed router that is dedictated to table use and that any time you are going to swing a big bit, you'll use the table. If you wish to obtain additional routers strictly for hand-held use, is there really a need to buy a variable speed router? For that matter, is there any need for anything over about 1 1/2 hp?

Alex Shanku
05-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Re: Variable Speed

The larger the diameter of the router bit, the slower the speed setting.

Doyle Alley
05-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Re: Variable Speed

The larger the diameter of the router bit, the slower the speed setting.

That's my point. Assuming you have a dedicated table router to handle the big bits, would you ever use a variable speed router as a hand-held? I can't think of a time I ever wanted to use a hand-held router with a bit big enough to justify slowing it down.

Brad Schmid
05-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Other than large bits, Variable speed is also a benefit in conditions where a particular type of wood is prone to burning, irregardless of bit size. Adjusting the bit speed and feed rate can and will eliminate burning. For example, I was recently cutting stopped plate rails in a cherry shelf with a 3/8" core box bit. At full speed, the cherry will burn at the end of the rail before you can lift the router. Tweek the speed down a little, and no burning with plenty of time to lift the router at the end of the cut and still get a nice clean cut.

Also, I do sometimes find it beneficial to have a medium size router in the 2 or 2 1/4hp range. Specifically, if I'm using a bearing guided bit and following a template on thick stock like 1 1/2" or 2" hard maple.

cheers

Tom Hintz
05-07-2006, 1:26 AM
i also like a VS router for hand held tasks because of the potential burning and because some bits, despite thier diameter, like to run at different speeds to do the best job. Some jobs like slower or faster speeds as well.
The good news is that variable speed is fast becoming the standard so getting routers equipped with it does not cost significantly more. I personally wold not buy a router without it these days.

Jim Becker
05-07-2006, 10:10 AM
IMHO, a VS router is the way to go, no matter how you are using it. Having only a fixed speed can limit the use of a router, even during hand-held use. Further, I find that the VS routers can often be less noisy, especially when you slow them down for the larger cutters. Soft start also makes them more comfortable to use. The cost differential isn't that much different, either. That said, if I were going to dedicate a router to a specific task where "full speed ahead" is the name of the game, I'd have no problem with a non-VS router, especially if a deal could be had.

glenn bradley
05-07-2006, 7:49 PM
I have a small fixed speed jobber I use for chamfering and the like. For the router table and Panel or cabinet lock bit, variable is the way to go. They're not that much more if you average it out over the life of the router and the time and material lost and, and, HEY, I think I just talked myself into buying another router!

tod evans
05-08-2006, 6:56 AM
doyle, from a service viewpoint the variable speed circuitry is the first thing to fail in most routers regardless of brand. so if you intend to run one hard call the local service center and ask their recomendations...02 tod

scott spencer
05-08-2006, 8:07 AM
The VS feature often comes in conjuction with the soft start. I can easily do without the VS while handrouting, but I prefer the soft start if I can get it....it just seems that you can't get that feature a la carte.

Steve Clardy
05-08-2006, 9:28 AM
None of mine are variable speed. Just something else to fail eventually.