PDA

View Full Version : Hidden magnet cabinet latch update

David Rose
08-30-2003, 3:31 AM
Thanks for you who responded with suggestions. I ended up going strong than any suggestions with four 1/2" by 1/8" rare earth magnets in the door and the same in the stop for each door. A 1/8" thick plug covered each set. Once a starting hole was made with an awl, a small end of a brad marked the alignment for the matching set. One set per door about in the middle of each holds the door closed at maybe a 10 degree cant. It takes very little to overcome the pull when opening and will self close the last 1/4" or so. Visible magnets would have been much stronger.

The only real disappointment is that the slight warpage of the panel doors is not pulled out at all. When the cabinet was lying flat the weight of the door pulled it flat. I guess I shouldn't expect that much pull from the magnets. I know... there shouldn't *be* any warpage but... it is only about 1/16" or less top to bottom. Still it shows. Still learning here. And I'm glad I didn't use fewer magnets!

I tried all my bits, bought an expensive one at Woodcraft, and ended up ordering a Lee Valley for the holes. Their bit is by far the best for clean edges. It did burn the edges of the high speed bit the first hole I did in hard wood. And it takes a lot of pressure to get it to cut in a hand drill. It isn't noticable on the DP. Is this normal? I found the plugs an "interesting bear" to try to grain match. Any tricks besides just searching the scrap bin? I had prefinished the stiles and stops and just wet the sample for the plug with mineral spirits. Still I did not get a good "hiding" match. With a good selection of dyes, which I don't have, I might be able to get it better.

I was going to bring it to Terry's BBQ for "show and tell", but what started out as a utility cabinet is looking more like one to me all the time.

David