PDA

View Full Version : Resetting Ethernet Connection w/o a POR

Todd Burch
08-29-2003, 10:27 PM
Without a POR (power-on-reset), how do I get my PC to reestablish a network connection after my cable modem gets reset?

Here's the situation. I'm using the computer. We have a power blip. The PC goes out and the cable modem goes out. I turn on the PC, try to connect to the network, and it won't work 'cuz my cable modem is still off. I go reset the cable modem (in the other room), but the PC still can't connect. So, I have to turn off the PC and reboot (POR) to get it to reestablish the connection. Win 98.

There's got to be command to do this.

Thanks, Todd.

Paul Barnard
08-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Without a POR (power-on-reset), how do I get my PC to reestablish a network connection after my cable modem gets reset?

Here's the situation. I'm using the computer. We have a power blip. The PC goes out and the cable modem goes out. I turn on the PC, try to connect to the network, and it won't work 'cuz my cable modem is still off. I go reset the cable modem (in the other room), but the PC still can't connect. So, I have to turn off the PC and reboot (POR) to get it to reestablish the connection. Win 98.

There's got to be command to do this.

Thanks, Todd.

ipconfig /renew

Jim Becker
08-29-2003, 11:30 PM
ipconfig /renew

I believe that for Win98 the command would be winipconf /renew (or something like that), but it's been a few years since I had a machine with Win98 on it...so I can't confirm. ipconfig with its various switches does work for Win2K and WinXP as well as WinNT. Try winipconf /? to see if that is the correct command...

Paul Barnard
08-29-2003, 11:58 PM
I believe that for Win98 the command would be winipconf /renew (or something like that), but it's been a few years since I had a machine with Win98 on it...so I can't confirm. ipconfig with its various switches does work for Win2K and WinXP as well as WinNT. Try winipconf /? to see if that is the correct command...
Quite right Jim winipconf /renew is the right one. I've been off 98 for quite some time too. Could have been worse I could have put in ifconfig :rolleyes:

John Miliunas
08-30-2003, 12:00 AM

For (ahem...) W98, it's "winipcfg /renew". (Todd, you really need to get to XP!) :cool:

Todd Burch
08-30-2003, 12:13 AM
I have XP-pro on the Dell 8500 (turbocharged) Laptop, but this e-Machine dinosaur I'm using @ 400 mhz is still chugging away, just like my 1948 Delta lathe and 1963 Park planer.

Thanks all for the answer. You've saved me both steps and time. Todd.