PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand taping ???

Mitchell Andrus
05-06-2006, 6:17 PM
I've read a whole lot of posts about taping, using transfer tape, tape on metal... etc. Can someone fill in the blanks.

No machine yet...

Mitch

Keith Outten
05-06-2006, 8:10 PM
Mitchell,

There are lots of techniques for using tape when engraving. The most simple use of engravers tape is to apply the tape on the front of your project and then engrave. The laser will burn through the tape and into the surface of your material. Once the engraving is done you can use spray paint to color fill the engraved areas. When the paint is about half-dry remove the mask and you are left with a plaque or project that has a contrasting color between the engraved areas and the background.

Shaddy Dedmore
05-06-2006, 8:33 PM
I also use tape when I am using unfinished wood (like MDF) so the smoke residue doesn't even get to the wood. But you go through a lot of tape that way. But hardly any cleanup.

Shaddy

Joe Pelonio
05-06-2006, 10:00 PM
When cutting 1/4 acrylic you can get flashback from the vector grid leaving marks on the back side if you have removed the paper/film. If you engrave both sides and are not going to color fill put transfer tape after enraving before you cut to avoid that.

Brent Brod
05-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Use tape directly on the cutting grid to make quick jigs for correct placement. Put the tape down, cut your outline, place the object, and engrave.

Mitchell Andrus
05-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks. Now I can 'get it' in context when I read about using tape.

Mitch

Roy Barrow
05-07-2006, 11:54 PM
I also use tape when I am using unfinished wood (like MDF) so the smoke residue doesn't even get to the wood. But you go through a lot of tape that way. But hardly any cleanup.

Shaddy

If blocking smoke residue, I use Johnson Paste Wax (don't buff it...just a good coat).

When finished, THEN buff it out...no residue...