PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking, Railroading and Babies?

Travis Johnson
05-06-2006, 4:31 PM
This project was a series of firsts for me. With my first child due to arrive in 9 weeks, as a woodworker I had to make her the obligatory wooden cradle. Yet as a 3rd generation railroader, I also wanted something really unique, so I designed this unique locomotive shaped cradle. Continuing with the theme of firsts, this is my first project where I used handcut dovetails and handcut lovetails as well.

In the end it will serve double duty to our daughet. Because of all the work that went into this cradle, I deliberatly made the rockers quite mild so that this cradle will be stable enough to serve as a toybox long after she outgrows the cradle portion of it.

Just thought some of you would like to see this with more pictures located at:http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Wood_Cradle.html

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/sitebuilder/images/Train_Cradle-217x140.jpg

John Miliunas
05-06-2006, 5:05 PM
Wow Travis, how absolutely cool and unique!!! :) With the un-ending attention to details, such as the "Lovetails", I can see how you racked up 300 hours into it. (If it makes you feel any better, I figure it would've taken me about the same...Times 3!!!:rolleyes: ) Yes, truly a labor of love and a piece, which I'm sure, your wonderful daughter will appreciate for many, many years to come! Good job, Travis! :) :cool:

William Lewis
05-06-2006, 5:58 PM
That is so cool. I really love the detail you put into the design and craftsmanship. Great job.

William Lewis

Jim O'Dell
05-06-2006, 6:07 PM
That is just unbelievable!!!! I'd say in combining your loves, you hit the proverbial nail square on the head and drove it 6" deep in one stroke! Travis, you done good. I'm sure you daughter will treasure this as she grows, and it will take on even more special meaning as she presents it to your grandchild in about 25 years!! BRAVO!!!! Jim.

Corey Hallagan
05-06-2006, 6:53 PM
Nice job, that is cool!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2006, 7:16 PM
Well soon-to-be Dad...........1st......Congrats on the upcoming event! 2nd...What great ingenuity and craftsmanship! I hope you signed that thing as many generations to come will want to know that Great Great Great Grandpa Travis built that! Fantastic!

BTW....your life is about to change in ways you haven't even imagined! Congrats!

Philip Glover
05-06-2006, 7:24 PM
Travis,

Looks like fun!:D
One thing though, is it a DASH-8 or an AC4400?

Ragards,
Phil

Ralph Okonieski
05-06-2006, 7:27 PM
Congratulations on the baby and the excellent cradle. Very nice design and craftsmanship.

Jim Becker
05-06-2006, 7:53 PM
Very kewel!! And congrats in advance... :)

Shelley Bolster
05-06-2006, 8:33 PM
That is so unique and yet very practical.....particularly the double duty as toy box. Using your family's affiliation with trains is a wonderful way to pass down some family history and pride to your daughter. While others may congratulate you Travis on being a dad......I think you daughter needs a good heap of congratulations herself for being so fortunate to have you as her Dad.

Nick Englesby
05-06-2006, 8:34 PM
Fantastic Travis!

Being a daddy is the best and your off to a great start.

Congrats

Travis Johnson
05-07-2006, 7:02 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

It was a fun project to do and because of the recipient, a lot of time and energy went into it. In fact at times I was obsessed. I work 3rd shift at the engine house as a Railroad Machinist and there were days when I was literally up for 24 hours or more. Working on locomotives, then working on this locomotive. The lack of sleep probably explains the number of lumber that turned into scrap because of mess-ups :)

Overall I woul have to say this project was about half and half. Half power tool built, and half hand tool built. I know this is the wrong forum to say this on (Power tool forum versus Neanderthal Forum), but the hand tool portions of this project were the most enjoyable.

Of course if we ever have another child, I will have to make another. When I do, it will be a steam locomotive!

Thanks again for all your kind words.

Tyler Howell
05-07-2006, 7:38 AM
Truely a LOL
Labor-of-Love.:cool:
Congrats on the the crumb crusher.
You'll be doing more 24 hour shifts and It will have nothig to do with Trains;)

Helen Gee
05-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Travis, that is absolutely beautiful. It's so creative and unique, will make a great heirloom for your daughter! And congratulations on your new addition to the family :)

Frank Pellow
05-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Travis I am blown away by both your creative design and craftmenship. I echo Shelley's comment that your (future) daughter is going to be lucky to have you as her dad.