PDA

View Full Version : Got Walnut !

Frank Parker
05-06-2006, 4:00 PM
I had given to me all the walnut I could cut before they cut it up for firewood the first picture is the load I got today, the second, third, and fourth pictures are some of whats left. The fifth picture is of a friend of mine George standing next to a log that I haven't figured out how to get in my truck.
Frank

David Fried
05-06-2006, 4:29 PM
Nice haul!

If you get that log in your truck I want to see you mount it on your lathe!!!

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2006, 4:34 PM
Frank what a haul. I wish I could find something like that out here. You will have turning wood and I love turning walnut. You will have a ball with all that wood.

Brad Hart
05-06-2006, 4:58 PM
I wish I could find something like that out here.

All you have to do is know the right people to ask. Make friends with your local tree cutters.

John Miliunas
05-06-2006, 4:59 PM
Holy smokes, Frank! Not that there is a LOT of Walnut! :eek: Enough there to give both, you and your lathe a good workout. Nice score!!! :) :cool:

Blake McCully
05-06-2006, 5:39 PM
Frank,
That's some burly walnut. What wood gloat. Congratulations.

It my be the picture, but that big log looks like it's all rotten on the end? Might not be worth looking at.

Again, great wood gloat.

Corey Hallagan
05-06-2006, 5:48 PM
Nice Haul!! Very nice indeed!! Congrats!

Corey

John Poole
05-06-2006, 5:52 PM
Split the log (quarters?) on site to manageable pieces.

I scored a walnut tree from my landlord; unfortunately, the max size is 16" in length and 23" diameter because they didn't want to risk the pieces damaging the asphalt near the tree. But I take my blessings wherever I get them.

At any rate, get a hold of the book, Chainsaw Lumbermaking by Will Malloff using Interlibrary Loan (this book, published by Taunton Press a while go, now sells used for at $80!!!), he deals with handling big log and devotes a page or two about splitting large logs such as the one in the rightmost picture.

If you do not already have one, an Alaskan Mill with special chains for cutting end grain (Bailey's in California has them) will be helpful. And, of course, Timberwolf blades designed for end grain cutting for the bandsaw.

Joe Fisher
05-06-2006, 9:25 PM
All you have to do is know the right people to ask. Make friends with your local tree cutters.
QFT! Check Freecycle and Craigslist, as well. In the last 2 weeks I've loaded my truck's bed well beyond its capacity 3 times, and made some new friends. I haven't scored any walnut (jealous!), but I did grab some osage orange, hickory, maple and plenty of firewood :) All free.

-Joe

Ernie Nyvall
05-07-2006, 4:12 AM
Nice haul Frank. Looks like you got some burls in there too. Sweet.

Ernie

John Hart
05-07-2006, 5:38 AM
Look at all those burls!:) Just from looking at the outside of some of the others, it looks like you probably scored some great figure in that wood!!! Awesome haul Frank!:)