PDA

View Full Version : Shop remodel...overdue update (pics).....

Todd Davidson
05-06-2006, 3:20 PM
Last year around this time Kim & I began a complete overhaul of our basement shop - new concrete floor, 200 amp electrical upgrade, framing & sheathing walls, and the acquisiton of new/used machines (search past threads for more details and pictures). We're at the point now where we are almost complete (need to run a few more electric lines, pick-up and duct a new DC, build a better router table, complete tuning up the jointer, begin rehabbing an old Rockwell bandsaw, and undertake the assembly of a 24" planer that is in a zillion pieces. Anyhow, I though I'd post some pictures. Thanks for checking it out...........

In peace, Todd

Todd Davidson
05-06-2006, 3:23 PM
A couple shots of the back room lumber storage, and machine rehab area...

Todd Davidson
05-06-2006, 3:24 PM
And a few more of the shop............

Alan DuBoff
05-06-2006, 4:24 PM
Todd, nice job! I'm in the middle of re-organizing things in my garage/shop right now, and working today to get some shelving setup to be used for wood storage.

I'm trying to maximize my counter area around the peremiter of the garage/shop, while at the same time allowing for maximum storage on the walls as well. I have a lot of old shelving to remove from the walls, most of which used flimsy, steel brackets, and I'm replacing those for upper shelving with some heavier Stanley brackets I got at the BORG for $8.97/4-pack.

I've been working to get this done for the past few weeks, and dis-assembled a small shed I purchased from a friend, and assembled it to store bikes and sporting goods for the kids. Completed that last weekend, but didn't get anything moved into it yet (did get OSB flooring cut and watersealer applied). In my wife's words, "that will get you some more space for your tools and wood". :D

Bless her heart! :cool: ( also known as "a keeper" ;) )

Of course that also means that there will be more room for more tools also! :rolleyes:

glenn bradley
05-06-2006, 4:57 PM
Speaking as one who is close to the decision; how do you like the Craftsman table saw and would you do it again or something else (shy of a full blown cabinet saw)?

John Miliunas
05-06-2006, 5:18 PM
Naaaaah...don't like it! Way too clean!!! :D Seriously, lookin' good, Todd. Hey, maybe you should start a "restoration" thread on that planer! Bet a lot of folks would be interested in that process, as well! :) :cool:

Steve Clardy
05-06-2006, 6:11 PM
It's looking up!!

Richard Wolf
05-06-2006, 6:44 PM
Nice job, it's coming along nicely. Enjoy.

Richard

Corey Hallagan
05-06-2006, 6:53 PM
Hi Todd, the shop looks great, nice job.

Corey

Ralph Okonieski
05-06-2006, 7:34 PM
Nice shop! So much room to work compared to mine. So clean too!

Jim Becker
05-06-2006, 7:46 PM
Thanks for the update! Lookin' good.

Bob Noles
05-06-2006, 7:58 PM
Hi Todd,,,,,

Really nice job and I like it a lot. I just finished my remodel last weekend, but after seeing yours, I may have to go do mine again :eek: :D

Great job and don't it feel good too?

Alan Tolchinsky
05-06-2006, 9:06 PM
Keep up the good work and the pics. Alan

Tim Morton
05-06-2006, 9:29 PM
Last year around this time Kim & I began a complete overhaul of our basement shop - new concrete floor, 200 amp electrical upgrade, framing & sheathing walls, and the acquisiton of new/used machines (search past threads for more details and pictures). We're at the point now where we are almost complete (need to run a few more electric lines, pick-up and duct a new DC, build a better router table, complete tuning up the jointer, begin rehabbing an old Rockwell bandsaw, and undertake the assembly of a 24" planer that is in a zillion pieces. Anyhow, I though I'd post some pictures. Thanks for checking it out...........

In peace, Todd

a New DC and ducting? Hmmmmmm...I may have something in my basement of interest to you, if you are up for a drive tomorow.:cool:

Todd Davidson
05-07-2006, 3:43 PM
Alan ~ Will be looking forward to seeing your completed shop. The previous owner of this house was a cabinet maker and his set up never quite worked for me. When the floor cracked and the shop flooded it was time to redo it my way.

Glenn~ I have no complaints about the Sears saw. I picked it up at a time when sales, discounts, and coupons netted it for half the going price. My grandfather had a Craftsman tablesaw (amongst many other Craftsman tools) in his shop so I'm kinda stoked to find a Craftsman worth using for mine. If you do a search on this forum (as well as others) you'll find lots of positive things said by owners of the 22124 (and lots of Craftsman bashing too :cool: ). I've had the opportunity to purchase 2 Grizzlys and 1 Unisaw for around $600 each but have chosen to stay with the Craftsman. If it fails me this forum will be the first to know.

John, Steve, Coey, Ralph & Alan ~ Appreciate the kind words! And yes it IS clean. And everything is in its place. I can't work any other way. Kim on the other hand......:eek:

Richard ~ Thanks buddy! Have mostly been utilizing the shop for home remodeling stuff for my home. Have to recreate some molding for a client in Maine and then start a cabinet job in July. Am hoping that by the time the conract is up for the 199 kitchens and baths I'm remodeling with Kim that we can transition into making ADA cabinets. Wish us luck! :D

Jim ~ Appreciate the kind words as well. Would never have thought to document the process if it wasn't for your thread. It added another element of enjoyment being able to share our progress.

Tim ~ If one of our dogs hadn't decided to try to chase down a deer this morning I would've made it up. Will PM you later.

Thanks to all who checked out this thread. Getting everything together has been an adventure (and doing most of it ourselves resulted in it being a long time coming). It'll be a little cramped I fear when cabinet boxes start going together. At least almost everything is mobile. Will post more pics when time allows the back rooms to get done.

In peace, Todd

Ed Bamba
05-07-2006, 5:29 PM
Todd,
I noticed on your TS that you bolted the base with lift casters at the front (infeed side). Is that the Craftsman caster set, and how well does it work for you in that position? I attached mine with the lift on the left side, and since I added a Bies overarm blade guard, it seems a bit tipsy when moving it. I also plan on moving the guide tube to the right, which will add to the imbalance. Your set up seems that it could eliminate the tipsyness of my TS (22124) set up.

Take care,
Ed

Todd Davidson
05-07-2006, 6:27 PM
Hi Ed~

The caster set is the Craftsman set that was designated for the 22124. The front location works fine for me as on occassion I need to pull the saw forward when ripping long boards/sheet goods (I then utilize the supplied metal outfeed table to transition between the outfeed table/bench I normally use). As my floor isn't perfectly level, when I pull the saw forward the wheels need to be chocked as to prevent the saw from rolling back when I'm feeding stock.

In peace, Todd