PDA

View Full Version : Oliver lathe..update #6

Steve Ash
05-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I went to the electric motor repair shop on Friday afternoon to get my "repaired" motor for the Oliver lathe 159. There was a bad switch and it cost me $42.00 to repair it.

Woke up bright and early this morning and went out to the shop to clean and prep the lathe for primer. I wiped it all down with laquer thinner and a cloth to remove all the debris, oil, dust, etc. that would prevent the primer from sticking to the newly cleaned up fresh metal surfaces.

Mixed up some PPG primer left over from our last tractor restore and ran it through the strainer and into my Devillbiss GTI Millenium paint gun, hooked up the air hose and was ready to see it turn grey. Well I apparently had the wrong tip for primer in my gun and couldn't find my other tips so I made do with what was in the gun....primer is thick and without the correct tip it took me a lot longer than expected.

The end result was what I had hoped for even with the extra time it took. I called out to my friends paint shop but he was unable to find the correct code by the numbers I gave him, so instead I am taking a piece that still has some of the original paint on it out to his shop and see if we can get a match that way.
Updated pics below

Before......and after "grey primer" pics.

Keith Burns
05-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Excellent job Steve.....can't wait to see it with the finish paint !

Christopher K. Hartley
05-06-2006, 1:01 PM
Man, I am so excited for you, you are going to have so much fun!!!!:D
This "Olie" is lookin GREAT!

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2006, 4:39 PM
It won't be long and you will be hauling Ash. Great job Steve. I can't wait till you get to turn with it. You should be proud of that job.

John Miliunas
05-06-2006, 4:56 PM
Hmmmm....Maybe we shoulda' made Delta/Rockwell Gray as one of the choices, heh??? Lookin' good, bud! :) Of course, it would've looked the best in Packer Green 'N Gold but, I'm sure you'll trick it out enough to suit your tastes and have enough Olly Puke Green to satisfy the purists! :D :cool:

Steve Ash
05-06-2006, 5:55 PM
Here he is....Olly in his new coat. Got back from my friends paint shop and matched the paint as best we could to what was original. When I got home I sprayed 6 coats of base coat on, and in a half hour I'll shoot a bunch of clear coat on and let it dry.

Time to get the motor and panel wired up. Still have to get some chrome and pinstripes on Olly as well as a flame or two. It's getting close boys and girls....and I'm getting excited....

Pete Jordan
05-06-2006, 7:41 PM
You don't fool around! Keep goin

Keith Cope
05-06-2006, 8:02 PM
Looking good, Steve! I'm following with great interest, I've got a 2159 I hope to have up and running fairly soon.

Jim Becker
05-06-2006, 8:02 PM
"Olly" bet you're happy that you'll soon get to turn on this neat machine! :D

Corey Hallagan
05-06-2006, 8:21 PM
Nice Steve, it's going to look great!!

corey

Jim Ketron
05-06-2006, 9:57 PM
Awesome Steve!
Nice job on the restore!

Barry Stratton
05-07-2006, 12:56 AM
Great work on the Olly. Can't wait to see it covered in curlies and lacquer. Thanks for the updates.

Tyler Howell
05-07-2006, 8:17 AM
Very Fine Steve,
I'm amazed at the old iron, big and small the comes out of the Ashe shops:cool:
Way cool.

Ernie Nyvall
05-07-2006, 8:26 AM
Steve, you have certainly done a fine job on Olly. Looks great.

Ernie

Paul Douglass
05-07-2006, 10:35 AM
You're not going to make that too pretty to use are you? You know what guy do with their cars, they sit in the garage and get rollrd out once in a while to get washed and polished!