PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7: When is it coming out?

Bob Weisner
05-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Anyone know when the new Internet Explorer 7 will be coming out? I see they have the Beta 2 version of it to test.

Joe Pelonio
05-06-2006, 2:39 PM
Not sure but thought I heard July 2006. There are apparently going to be some issues though, with it taking over control of your online access through other programs, as they are trying to compete now with Google and Yahoo and want to force us to stay away from those.

Michael Ballent
05-06-2006, 3:24 PM
Does it matter... just download FireFox and you will have what ever MS is planning to put into IE 7, 8, etc... Just O/S... want know what the next release of Windows will be like look at Apple :)

Tim Burke
05-06-2006, 3:42 PM
You can download the beta version. I'm using it right now. It's got some nice improvements, but the beta is slightly buggy. A couple websites with Java (or some other control) don't work right, so I use Mozilla Firefox for those until the real version is out.

Tim

Jim Becker
05-06-2006, 8:19 PM
Likely concurrent with Vista, the new OS, now scheduled for Jan2007, but may slip...again.

Larry James
05-08-2006, 5:25 PM
Does it matter... just download FireFox and you will have what ever MS is planning to put into IE 7, 8, etc... Just O/S... want know what the next release of Windows will be like look at Apple :)

Why not just buy a new Intel Mac?

Lee DeRaud
05-08-2006, 5:59 PM
Do the Intel Macs still have proprietary support chips? (And if so...why?!?)
Gotta figure it's only a matter of months until somebody gets the Intel Mac OS binaries running on semi-generic PC hardware.

Jim Becker
05-08-2006, 6:29 PM
Do the Intel Macs still have proprietary support chips? (And if so...why?!?)
Gotta figure it's only a matter of months until somebody gets the Intel Mac OS binaries running on semi-generic PC hardware.

Supposedly, Apple does take advantage of the DRM capability in the Intel chip set to secure their OS.

That said, I've been a Win-Tel owner/user since I graduated from Commodore and Radio Shack and a very happy Dell customer. My next machine will be the Intel I-Mac. I can run both OS on it and that fits my needs. It's already in a "shopping cart" at Apple...I just have to hit the button one of these days to take advantage of a nice corporate discount. The kids will get my Dell.

Michael Ballent
05-08-2006, 7:18 PM

I will be buying one once the current PC dies off :D... XP has been MUCH better than the previous Windows incarnations so far. The original post wanted to know when IE 7 was coming out... I just offered Firefox as something that is in production and MS is busily copying so they can maintain their proprietary money train going... Ask any web developer and their need to support IE and you will see the claws and teeth appear ;). MS has been trying to corner the internet market and have been laying on their laurels for many years, then Firefox comes along and it appears that the browser all of a sudden is no longer tied into the O/S hmmmm interesting.... MS has sunk millions into IE and trying to keep other browsers at bay. When you hit some site that just will not work with Firefox, Mozilla, Opera etc and magically works with IE, there is MS proprietary crud in the site... MS has a long history of borrowing from others (in fairness Mac O/S originally came from Xerox PARC)