PDA

View Full Version : Self powered sanders

Jeff Horton
05-06-2006, 9:18 AM
Anyone tried one of these? Not necessary the Sorby brand just one of the self power sanders.

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/27711-lg.jpg

I have been looking at these for a while now. I have seen a couple of articles on how to build one and there pretty simple tools. Just wondering how they work compared to using a drill. Would seem that the drill would be more aggressive which could be a good thing at times.

Brad Hart
05-06-2006, 9:47 AM
I like the articulated head design and have the cheaper woodcraft brand one but don't like it as well as the sorby brand one because the sorby is fitted with a propper bearing. That being said don't buy either one of them. Spend $10 on ebay buy a 10 pack of 1/4 sealed bearings and from klingspor buy the 3 pack of 1/4" shaft sanding disks in 1,2, and 3" sanders for $20 (or make your own) and then make yourself 3 sanders for less than the price of 1. Also buy your sandpaper from industrialabrasives.com in 39x36 sheets so you don't have to buy multiple sizes of disks.

Jeff Horton
05-06-2006, 9:55 AM
You answered some questions I had not even asked yet. :)

I love saving money and was thinking of building one myself. Now, how to you cut the disks? Sissors, razor knife?

Brad Hart
05-06-2006, 3:50 PM
I just cut a square off the right size with scissors. I don't bother trimming the edges either that little bit of extra gives that softer wave disk effect it also protects the pad and the bowl from getting that infuriating black scuff mark.