PDA

View Full Version : Bocote Box

Michael Stafford
05-06-2006, 8:36 AM
I don't know what it is about bocote and my bad luck with it. This box is the first piece that I have been able to successfully turn. I have had bowls and boxes disintegrate on the lathe. It seems every piece I buy has ring shake or other crack type defects that end up doing in my turning.

This bocote box also has some fine hairline cracks running across the end grain and when I discovered them while turning I figured this piece was doomed. I managed to keep it together long enough to finish. A new shape for me, this box is 2 1/8" tall and 3" in diameter. A lot of grain variation in this box.

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2006, 8:58 AM
Mike you did a outstanding job on that box. I like the form. What kind of finish do you use on your boxes Mike? Great work.

Terry Quiram
05-06-2006, 9:11 AM
Mike

Congrats on keeping this one together. I like everything about it. Great shape, wonderful color and outstanding finish. Its just awesome.

Terry

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2006, 9:13 AM
Big Mike........Another beautiful box! Like Terry, I like everything about it!

John Hart
05-06-2006, 9:57 AM
Like you, I've had nothing but bad luck with bocote. I was shocked to see how well it turned out....but then, you always seem to find that silver lining. Very pretty box Big Mike!!:)

Curt Fuller
05-06-2006, 10:17 AM
That's gotta be one of my favorites you've done. I love the Bocote.

Jim Ketron
05-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Man that is some beautiful wood Mike!
Love the shape also!

Glenn Hodges
05-06-2006, 12:09 PM
I am glad this one stayed together because it sure is a beaut.

Travis Stinson
05-06-2006, 12:20 PM
I love it Mike! Wonderful finish and another very nice shape.

Keith Burns
05-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Aw, man......Yet another perfect box ! Very inspiring work Big Mike:) :)

Michael Stafford
05-06-2006, 2:01 PM
Thank you for the nice feedback. It is nice to hear.

Bernie, I use an ordinary mixture of oil and varnish thinned to wiping consistency. I spend a lot of time in sanding as most of these dense woods require a lot of preparation before you put the finish on. This bocote was sanded to 1200 before the scratches became invisible. Then the finish was sanded between coats with a non-abrasive pad.

John, I do not know what it is about bocote. I have turned many pens from it without problems. But I have had at least 5 bowls disintegrate due to ring shake or other crack defects and two previous box attempts failed. I have another blank in the shop right now that has ring shake so I guess I will saw it up and see if I can get pen blanks from it. Maybe it has something to do with the environment the trees grow in or in the way they are harvested.

Thanks again.:D

Corey Hallagan
05-06-2006, 5:51 PM
Beautiful work as always. Very nice box!

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-06-2006, 6:21 PM
Well Michael..............................Bocote is beautiful wood and I like the shape and finish, too. Good Job!

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2006, 9:33 PM
Thanks Mike. I appreciate it. I am going to have to see if I can make one like this one. I like the form.

Barry Stratton
05-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Beautiful! Everything about it looks perfect. I'm glad this one stayed together for you so you could share it. You've almost "inspired" me enough to try my hand at a box.

Ernie Nyvall
05-07-2006, 8:05 AM
Another real beauty Big Mike. Glad it stayed together for us to see.:)

Ernie