PDA

View Full Version : Satin or Semigloss for shop walls?

Dale Critchlow
08-29-2003, 8:28 PM
I am about to paint the inside of my new shop with white house paint.

Someone told me that fine dust will not stick to a semigloss finish as much as it does to a satin finish.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Dale

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-29-2003, 8:33 PM
Don't know about the dust, but I think satin would be better for the lighting...seems semi-gloss would be more reflective (in a bad way).

KC

Ken Garlock
08-29-2003, 9:31 PM
Hi Dale. We have everything that is white in our house and shop painted in the whitest white available with the semi-gloss "eggshell" finish. You get the benefits of semi-gloss for ease of care and the non shinny surface is easy on the eye. :)

Todd Burch
08-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Either one would be good. I'll add that a semi-gloss with show more wall imperfections than an eggshell. I picked up a Benjamin Moore color deck yesterday, and they even have a PEARL, which is between an eggshell and a satin. You learn something new every day.

Jim Becker
08-29-2003, 11:22 PM
For the new area of the shop where I had to paint, I also used eggshell. It's also what I generally use in the house, too.

John Weber
08-30-2003, 1:27 AM
Dale,

I thought eggshell was between flat and satin, I would go with satin, for the shop walls, because it will release the fine dust a bit easier. I almost always use eggshell for interior walls, but I would have bet it is closer to flat. I usually use semi-gloss for the trim.

John

Jason Roehl
08-30-2003, 5:59 AM
Dale,

I thought eggshell was between flat and satin, I would go with satin, for the shop walls, because it will release the fine dust a bit easier. I almost always use eggshell for interior walls, but I would have bet it is closer to flat. I usually use semi-gloss for the trim.

John

Actually, eggshell and satin are typically used interchangeably, but I have come across more eggshells with more sheen than I have satins. Some companies use eggshells for their interior mid-sheen and satin for their exterior mid-sheen designation. Either way, KC's right about not using semi-gloss--too reflective, causing glare.

As for dust settling on the walls, what you really need is a texture-free surface to begin with. Take an ROS or a pole-sander with 150-220 non-loading paper (the 3M lime-green stuff for paint would work best) and sand down the wall before you paint. You don't have to go crazy with the sanding, just hit each area a couple times and move on. Then, when you topcoat with eggshell, your wall will be much less likely to become part of your DC system.

Dale Critchlow
08-30-2003, 12:41 PM
After reading the comments, I decided to use the satin house paint. It actually is almost shiny. I think the comments about getting it too glossy are correct.

Thanks,

Dale