PDA

View Full Version : Pedistle Vase - SweetGum

Christopher K. Hartley
05-06-2006, 6:42 AM
It's still not where I want it to be, but an improvement over the last inside. Funny how the camera picks up even more than I see in real life. I was really taken by the color in the wood on this one. Had a small crack appear in the base last night. The vase is 8 1/2" tall 6" at the base and 5" at the mouth of the vase. I did get a new scraper which really helped on the inside. I finished it with BLO and my wax mixture.

Mark Cothren
05-06-2006, 6:53 AM
You're right about the color of that wood. Very nice. I had some Sweet Gum that spalted and ended up very colorful. I've also seen some other gum that spalted like nothing I've ever seen before (Travis Stinson).

You're getting some nice detail in your turnings. Keep up the good work!

Bob Noles
05-06-2006, 6:53 AM
Oh boy Chris...... you are going to like the replies on this one.

Great job!

John Hart
05-06-2006, 7:01 AM
Coming along nicely Chris! That is one dazzling piece of wood you got there.:) Have you thought about cutting away the crack? It might continue through your base.:confused:

Christopher K. Hartley
05-06-2006, 7:03 AM
Coming along nicely Chris! That is one dazzling piece of wood you got there.:) Have you thought about cutting away the crack? It might continue through your base.:confused:

Good thought, thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2006, 9:03 AM
Nice vase Christopher! Hope that crack doesnt continue!

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2006, 9:03 AM
That is a mighty fine looking vase. You did a great job on it Christopher. I was going to suggest the same thing as John H. did by cutting away the crack or it may continue. I did that on a couple of candle holders and it worked pretty well. At least the cracking stopped.

Glenn Hodges
05-06-2006, 12:08 PM
I like the figure in this wood. I also like the bead you put around it. I have access to this wood but have not turned much of it. Thanks for showing me what the wood looks like in a nice vase form.

Keith Burns
05-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Very nice vase Christopher:) Nice form and detail:) :)