PDA

View Full Version : dumb planer question

russell johansen
05-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Quick thanks again for all who helped with my jointer decision a couple of weeks ago. As I mentioned, my wife went with me to the woodworking show and the presenter made a good arguement for getting a jointer and planer. LOML just said go ahead on the planer but we can't afford top of the line. Could spend 500 bucks but would really like to spend less.

My question is, what is the difference between between a 12 1/2 inch and 13 inch planer. (besides the half inch obviously). Could you give me some talking points so I can explain it to myself and LOML. The costs seem dramatically different.

BTW, I bought the six inch Delta x5 jointer (picking it up soon)

S Larkin
05-06-2006, 6:01 AM
I upgraded from a Dewally 13 inch to a PM15 a few years ago. I was sick of ripping 14 inch boards to fit in the planer. The PM is MUCH quieter, although I still use hearing protection. I can also plane the wood much more quickly. If you can be patient, look for a used unit. I paid $600 for mine with spare blades. It's a matter of waiting for the right deal to come along. Good luck.

Ray Bersch
05-06-2006, 8:42 AM
Russ, if you buy a decent quality machine, the main difference between the 12, 12 1/2, and 13 inch portable (aka "lunch box") planners will be the features added to the newer model machines. (There is a day and night difference between these machines and the heavier, more powerful, 15" and wider floor model types.) You will not really appreciate some of the features until you have used a machine without them - sorta like the remote locks on your car - just unlocks the door, same as inserting the key, just easier. Some improvements, such as three blades instead of two, or two speeds instead of one, do result in a better finish on the wood - at least according to some folks. But others, such as disposable knives (easier to set and replace) improved measuring scales, provisions for setting repeatable cuts, automatic carriage lock or an automatic zeroing feature simply add convenience. In my mind, if I were to buy new, for the difference in price, I would take the model with the added features because they are really great conveniences.

However, I purchased a used Delta 22-560, 12 1/2" planer last year for $150 including an extra set of blades and I am very happy with the choice - it is a basic machine, top of the line during its day and it does exactly what I want it to do - I just don't have those little things that would make its use easier, not better.

So, to stay within your budget, consider a used machine, and add a used dust collector. Do a web search for planer reviews so you can find out which "name brands" are in the better quality group, then go on a hunt for a decent machine. And, trust me, you will be sorry if you don't get a dust collector (not a shop vac.)
Ray

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-06-2006, 9:03 AM
I like the automobile analogy. A car is a car until you come to a car knowing how much you might be able do demad of the car and possesed of the ability to make those damands. Then suddenly a Yugo is joke you'd prefer not to me near a Chevy or ford is your is basic transportation for the masses, Caddy is a nice car for those who want heavy reliability but not too much sophistication and zero performancel, and and a Porshe is a car you are only too happy in which to push envelopes.

The lunch box tool will shave your lumber down not quickly and not with great aplomb - but it'll get-r-done.

The heavy cast iron General, PM,or Delta, or WoodTek will be like driving the Caddilac and the Snazzy austrian machines will be like driving the Porshe.

Porshes are more expensive too.

A side note: The other day I parked next to a Ferrari at a large Grocery store. Big lot carts everywhere oversize carts puched by yuppie babes in minivans.
I looked in the Italian screamer and wondered "What the hell kind of idiot brings a Ferrari to a super large grocery store? There's no place for a bag of groceries."

Which, I submit just goes to show that sometimes the highest priced tool isn't ever going to be worth the purchase price.

Jim Becker
05-06-2006, 9:41 AM
It's hard to tell you the differences between the 12.5" machine and 13" machine without knowing what machines you are looking at... ;) In general, it's features, but the specifics are hidden in the particular models being evaluated.

russell johansen
05-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Here are the models I am considering. I just don't know enough about the features to know if an extra hundred is worth it. I looked at the delta that was $500 but the magazine review said you need to buy two sets of tables for a total cost of close to $600. If I buy the $200-300 price range, I may be able to swing my dust collector too. BUT I don't want to buy crap that I will want to replace immediately. Other suggestions welcome.

Delta 22-580 13" Two-Speed Finishing Planer For $306 (+10% off)

Delta ShopMaster TP305 12-1/2" Portable Planer For ($199 +10% off)

DEWALT DW734 Heavy Duty 12-1/2" Thickness Planer with 3-Knife Cutter Head For $265 (+10% off).

Ian Barley
05-06-2006, 1:05 PM
Russell

If you are going to run a planer you need dust extraction. Not just a tidy issue or a health issue but also a quality issue. In my experience, if you run any planer without extraction, chippings get between the workpiece and the feed rollers and get impressed into the workpiece, ruining the smooth surface left by the blades. I have never used or seen in action the newer style planers with forced air extraction (DeWalt??) so you might get away with it there, but as a generality you should use extraction with a planer.

Probably not what you wanted to hear - sorry.

Ray Bersch
05-06-2006, 8:59 PM
Oh, boy, now you are getting into opinions - and everybody has one....

I believe the $500 machine you looked at was the DeWalt DW735 - everyone says it is a great machine, just expensive, and most buy the in-feed and out-feed tables. I lusted after one of these for several months before I decided the extra benefits did no out weigh the extra cost.

The Delta Shopmaster is just about the same machine that I described earlier - the one I bought used. Instead of discontinuing the model, they lowered the price and put their lower quality Shopmaster name on it. I don't know what other changes they made, if any.

I think you would be happy with either the DeWalt 734 or the Delta 22-580. One has three blades, one has two speeds - ho hum. Both require you to purchase the dust shield as an extra - about 35 bucks.

I like the Delta better, perhaps because I am partial to Delta's but I do like the setting features and scales better - and I believe the blades are easier to change. If I were to upgrade now, it would be to the Delta (and not the DW735, still overpriced in my opinion) as I have looked it over pretty throughly and found it more to my liking.

Go somewhere where you can put your hands on each one and see if you can decide from there. I know it is difficult to buy something you don't know how to operate, that is why I bought used - now I know.

Ray

John Callahan
05-08-2006, 7:42 AM
I'll throw a plug in for the Makita 2012NB. It's quieter than the Delta 22-580 and DW 735 and more portable than either- it weighs less. Disadvantages- it has an inch less capacity and it costs more than the Delta (but less than the DW 735). One alternative no matter which brand you decide on is to look for recon versions. Most have factory warranties (check to be sure) and you can save considerable $.

Frank Fusco
05-08-2006, 8:57 AM
Shop Grizzly and you could have a great 12 1/2" inch planer AND your joiner for the $500.00.

Tim Solley
05-08-2006, 11:18 AM
I bought the Delta 22-580 13" a few months back. I couldn't be happier with it. This was my first planer purchase. The reason I went for this one over the 12 1/2" model were the features, and the reviews of those who have each. The 22-580 has a cutter head lock, blade zero indicator, 2 speeds, and a depth stop. I love each and every one of those features, especially the depth stop. I can always get several boards to the same thickness.

I didn't have a dust collector when I got this machine. It does a nice job of getting the chips out and away from the workpiece without a DC. They all pile up into a monstrous pile on the outfeed side of the machine. Once I learned just how much dust is created by a planer and jointer, I decided to get a DC (the HF 2 HP model for $125 after ads and coupons). The dust hood was $25 on Amazon. Now I couldn't be happier.

Good luck with your purchase.

Tim

Mike Zozakiewicz
05-08-2006, 2:22 PM
I have the makita 2012 also. Again, I chose it over the Dewalt 735 because I couldn't swing it and the dust collector. I waited for a good deal on Amazon and picked it and the dust collector up for the same as the dewalt alone. I have been satified with it.

Mike

Vaughn McMillan
05-08-2006, 6:43 PM
I have the Delta TP305 Snipemaster. I knew when I bought it that it was only a temporary solution until I could afford something better. I figure I've gotten my $200 worth out of it, but it's a very basic, no bells and whistles planer. It does a good enough job that I've not yet been forced to replace it, but I know that day will come. As far as I've been able to determine, there's not a dust collection hood available for it. (I tried a homemade version, but connected to a Shop Vac, it caused more problems than it prevented.) The features that Tim mentioned like a depth stop and cutter head lock can help result in more consistent and repeatable results. Worth the extramoney IMHO.

If you can swing the expense, I'd recommend getting something a bit better than the Snipemaster.

- Vaughn

russell johansen
05-08-2006, 8:32 PM
Well, it's all your fault. :rolleyes: Everyone who responded has convinced me that I better get that dust collector too! Of course, in convincing the LOML I put the blame on the experts here. So, I got the Delta Jointer, am still deciding on the planner and will start researching the dust collectors. By early summer I should have all three! YEAH! The advice has been excellent and I appreciate it.

In regards to the Grizzley recoommendation:I have a Grizzley table saw and like it. Hadn't seen any discussion of their planer though so was a little skeptical. I will keep looking for reviews. Anyone else out there like the low end Grizzley planner?

For at least the short term I will be dragging the dust collector around to each machine as I need it. How much Horse Power do I need? WM J Redmond Co has a Jet 1HP machine for $139 (http://www.redmond-machinery.com/default.htm)

Anyway, thanks again for the info. WOn't be purchasing anything until June as I am headed in for Kidney Stone surgery. Finally my turn to get them blasted out-there were 102 people in line before me!

Chuck Powell
05-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I've been using the 22-580 for about 4 years. So far no problems. Snipe is minimal. Blade changeout is simple. I like it just fine.

Jerry Olexa
05-08-2006, 11:00 PM
I have the DL 22-580 for about 2 years and very happy with performance. . The DeWalt unit is a good one but quite heavy (over 100lbs).