PDA

View Full Version : The Big Dog for the router table?

glenn bradley
05-05-2006, 6:02 PM
Alright folks, the Milwaukee 5625 has been getting some good press and seems to be "the beast" to get for big-dog power and ease of adjustment for the router table. The PC 7518 is a locomotive but, doesn't provide a micro adjust feature on board. Before I spend my cash; are there any other contenders that I may have missed?

TIA,

Glenn

John Kain
05-05-2006, 6:37 PM
Do you really need more router than an M12V at 3 1/4 HP?

The M12V has certainly proven itself in durability and you can't beat the price (1/2 of the Milwaukee).........

EDit: sorry I see you may be looking for more precision...........

Michael Pfau
05-05-2006, 6:40 PM
Glen, I haved looked at the Milwaukee several times, but I am an old die hard Porter Cable guy. I love my 7518, and would never change out. Yes it does not have a micro, but that has never really been a problem, I always use a scrap piece first anyway. The one thing that I have been told and it makes sense, is the handle on the 5625 is huge, and has trouble getting through your table if you lift it out. Good Luck!

Frank Pellow
05-05-2006, 6:45 PM
I am also seriously considering the Milwaukee 5625 when (if?) I get/build a router table. I have tried the router and liked it but I have read the reeports of several folks who run into problems with the plastic parts in the adjustment above the table "feature". It seams that they are not very durable and break down after a year or so of heavy use.

It would be good news to me, if someone can tell us that Milwaukee has fixed this problem.

scott spencer
05-05-2006, 9:03 PM
Hi Glenn - I could be mistaken, but I think the 5625 has a collet that extends through the table for above table bit changes too.

CPeter James
05-05-2006, 9:17 PM
I have the 5625 and use it in a table. I take it out from the bottom to change bits. It only takes a second to remove and replace it. I did remove the handles for clearance in the table. In fact it comes with two different sets of handles, one is "D" and one is knob style. As far as the lifting device, I don't think there is any plastic in any critical areas. I have had mine for two years and it has gotten a lot of use. I made about 500 bd ft of t&g paneling at one point. It ran for hours at a time with no problem. If you install it in a table, turn it 45 degrees to the fence to get the adjuster out where you can get at it with the fence in position.

CPeter

glenn bradley
05-05-2006, 9:37 PM
Thanks to all for the input. I also love the PC. decisions, decisions . . .

glenn bradley
06-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Well, thanks for all the input guys. I finally decided on the ffice:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:City w:st=<ST1:place w:st="on">Milwaukee</ST1:place></st1:City> 5625. I think the micro adjust from above the table feature pushed me over. The router will not adjust high enough to change bits above the table reasonably but the router body slides out of the housing without any trick maneuvers. Can't wait to get it mounted.

Allen Bookout
06-07-2006, 1:21 AM
Glenn,

I think that you are going to be real happy with the 5625. I really like mine. As has been said you can take the handles off if they are in the way. You can get a couple of bent wrenches to change the bits from above and not have to take the router out of the table. There may be other places to buy them but I know that Woodpeckers has them.
Allen

Don Baer
06-07-2006, 1:25 AM
My next router will be a Milwaulkee ever since I saw Sam Malloof use one when I took the workshope last Nov.

glenn bradley
06-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Allen,

Ah . . . , bent wrenches. Why is it the best solutions are so simple.

Thanks!

Ken Garlock
06-07-2006, 2:55 PM
Allen,

Thanks!

I bought a pair this spring, and now I am kicking myself for not getting them sooner.

I also bought 4 of the Woodpecker precision clamping squares, and they beat anything I have seen on the market. They are made of solid machined aluminum and just will not give pressure.

M. A. Espinoza
06-07-2006, 9:44 PM
Allen,

Thanks!

FYI Milwaukee uses same collet wrench size as PC. So if you have any of those laying around bending them would not be much trouble.

That said pulling the motor for bit changes is probably faster than wrangling with bent wrenches.

Either way enjoy the new tool. I've nothing but positive things to saw about my Milwaukee routers.

glenn bradley
06-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Thanks M.A. After playing around with my new toy, er . . tool I agree. The motor drops out of the frame so smoothly I think I'll just do that. I just need to re-think my under-table dust collection solution. My previous router had a dust port that sealed that area so, no dust. I'm leaning towards just building an enclosure below the router table with a door for access and a port to the DC. Any thoughts?

M. A. Espinoza
06-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Glenn,

My table is open underneath so haven't worried about dust collection other than at the fence.

But I've been thinking about an enclosed cabinet with bit storage for convenience. The basic Norm Abrams cabinet pretty much is what I have in mind.

Only thing about collection from the cabinet is to allow for makeup air so you aren't working against the cooling fan. Ideally I want to draw from just under the bit opening. But I haven't gone too far with planning so can't help too much.

I'm sure if you post asking about router table dust collection you'll get lots of solutions

Good luck.

Allen Bookout
06-09-2006, 1:00 AM
I just kind of made up a cabinet as I went along. The one thing that I did find out is that with the door shut, to the router compartment, I evidently did not have enough air flow (as referenced by M. A.) because dust remained in the compartment. I routed a vent strip 5/8" wide by 8" long in the bottom of the door and with a 4" port on the bottom back all of the dust dissapears. I feel that I am getting plenty of flow down through the router also. I also have a 4" port on the fence but could do with a lot less. It was just easier to hook up that way with my 2 hp dust collector unit.