PDA

View Full Version : Puter question

Steve Clardy
08-29-2003, 5:35 PM
In the start up of my computer, and in the settings, it has S.M.A.R.T. capabitliy disabled, both c and d hard drives. What is SMART, and should I enable it? Steve

David LaRue
08-29-2003, 6:06 PM
In the start up of my computer, and in the settings, it has S.M.A.R.T. capabitliy disabled, both c and d hard drives. What is SMART, and should I enable it? Steve

SMART is a built in monitoring program for hard drives. It is suppost to help prevent the total melt down of your hard drive. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) It uses predictive modeling, and monitors the hard rive performance.

It works automatically in the background, but you must enable it, and the hard drives nmust be SMART compatable.

Dave

Steve Clardy
08-29-2003, 8:24 PM
That answers my question on that. Now how do I find out if the drives will work on it? When I bought the box new, it was set up this way, not enabled. Wonder if that says that maybe the hard drives are not compatable with Smart? Steve

John Miliunas
08-30-2003, 12:05 AM
That answers my question on that. Now how do I find out if the drives will work on it? When I bought the box new, it was set up this way, not enabled. Wonder if that says that maybe the hard drives are not compatable with Smart? Steve

Steve, this is just a guess, but that's a new rig you have there and, it's a good chance that your HDD is SMART capable. Try to keep an eye on your display the next time you power your box up. When it's going through the POST process (a bunch of that seemingly cryptic writing when you first start and before you see the Windows splash screen), you may notice when the machine (BIOS) finds and identifies the hard drive. Often, it will tell you right there if it's SMART capable. :cool:

Steve Clardy
08-30-2003, 9:29 AM
Thanks John. I'll try to look real fast when it flashes by real fast to see what it says. :D
Steve