PDA

View Full Version : Help me Spend $$$.....

Tony Falotico
05-05-2006, 5:01 PM
My buddy and I are heading to Woodcraft in the AM and I plan on returning with a Bandsaw :D ... Last week they had Jet, Delta and Rikon 18"ers in stock............

If you were me which one would end up in your truck and WHY ??

Scott Raasch
05-05-2006, 5:27 PM
My buddy and I are heading to Woodcraft in the AM and I plan on returning with a Bandsaw :D ... Last week they had Jet, Delta and Rikon 18"ers in stock............

If you were me which one would end up in your truck and WHY ??

Tony, I got the Rikon 18" last year. I couldn't be happier. The features I liked was the fact that it had the largest table and the cast iron wheels. I had read several reviews and it was highly rated - about the only unknown at that point was that there wasn't any service history since they were new on the market. Well, I had to call them once and it was a great experience! Very friendly , knowledgeable, and helpful people.

This past week I've been cutting up several big "chunks" of freshly downed wood for turning blanks. A couple have been around 12-14" in diameter - elm, maple, and walnut. It has cut them all very easily.

Good Luck! (BTW, if you don't know already, I highly recommend you order a couple blades from Timberwolf - the best in the business and you'll get the most out of your saw.)

Jim O'Dell
05-05-2006, 5:38 PM
Tony, sounds like a great trip scheduled!! :D You are very lucky to be able to see all 3 side by side. When I was shopping for one last year, I was intrigued with the Rikon, but no one had them here. I lucked into the MM E16 deal, so that took me out of the market. Good luck. Play with each of them. Use all the controls then get the one that "feels" right to you. I'm sure they will all perform equally well. Jim.

Steve Clardy
05-05-2006, 5:57 PM
Don't know anything about a Rikon.
I know I wouldn't want anything that had a delta tag on it.
I would go with a Jet.
I have a 6x89 Jet sander thats been A-ok

John Shuk
05-05-2006, 7:09 PM
My buddy has the Delta and I think it is a great machine.

Jim Becker
05-05-2006, 7:19 PM
The *new* Jet 18" (http://www.jettools.com/magazine_ads/710751/bandsaw.cfm?CFID=3263062&CFTOKEN=98400108) is worthy of a look from what I hear. I think it could still use more power for really serious use, but this version is a big improvement over the older one, in both power and resaw capacity. Folks have spoken well of the Rikon 18", too, but I've never seen one in-person. Woodcraft is just to far away to make it worth driving to for me...in either direction.

Tony Falotico
05-05-2006, 7:27 PM
OK all....... I'll get it started, help me out

I'm leaning toward the Rikon because

The wheels are cast iron and heavier, should give better momentum once up to speed
The table is the largest of the three
The guide bearings are positioned differently, seems like a better configuration

The Delta, though seems to have the nicer fence system.
The Jet is Kinda lagging behind ...... mainly because it has the smallest motor (1-3/4 HP vs 2 HP) But you are correct Jim, the rest of it sure do look nice....
Price wise they are close, price is not a factor
The Delta table is 4" higher off the floor than the others, a negative when cutting larger / heavier stock ??
The Jet is pretty white, but that doesn't count for anything.
The Delta & Rikon have quick release tensioner (I Think), the Jet doesn"t, but I"ll have to check that for sure.........

Syd Lorandeau
05-05-2006, 8:20 PM
Hi Tony,
I am not inthe class of most here on Sawmill Creek but I was in need of a new bandsaw. I got the Rikon 18" and could not be so glad I went that way.
If you search Rikon you will find some threads by Mike Cutler and it is unreal what he doer with his Rikon. I live in NH and he is in Conn so I took a trip down to see his and ask questions. He took it apart, told me what was good and bad (very little) and it was a great trip. Also should tell you I ended up with some great pieces of wood, FREE
Wish you were not so far away as I know of a dealer who would sell you the 18" for well under$1000.
Syd

RichMagnone
05-05-2006, 9:14 PM
If you search Rikon you will find some threads by Mike Cutler and it is unreal what he doer with his Rikon.

Could not agree more. I have the Rikon 18 thanks to Mike's posts and don't regret it for a minute.

Chuck Powell
05-05-2006, 10:59 PM
I bought the Rikon 10-345 and ended up returning it. I had purchased the machine based on positive reviews of the 10-340 and had looked at the 10-340 before Christmas but ended up ordering and the model changed.

I do NOT like what was done with the quick release/tensioner/tracking area of the new Rikon 18. I could not get it to track consistently with a 1 inch Timberwolf. I found that the wheel tracking adjustment would shift due to this inherent flaw.

Rikon tech support was excellent in trying to help me. They admitted there was a problem with the new design and stated they were working on it...don't know if they got anywhere.

The gist of the difference is that with the old design, the tension/tracking assy was under tension. The new design has the tension assy under compression and the pivot point was unstable. It is a dumb design brought on when they moved the quick release lever to the bottom of the upper housing.

I'd recommend you tension a resaw blade (bring it up to proper tension, not to the mark on the saw) and make some cuts with the saw on some 10 inch hardwood stock.

Michael Fross
05-06-2006, 7:55 AM
I, too, have been looking around at bandsaws. I personally shy away from Delta, but Jet and the Rikon look good.

I was also wondering about the 16" grizzly (link (http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/G1073Z)). Have you looked at this one? Does anyone have any experience with their bandsaws? This one is 2hp with cast iron wheels, but I've never actually seen one.

Thanks,

Michael

Tony Falotico
05-06-2006, 12:49 PM
After an hour and a half crawling in and around the Delta, Rikon and Jet at Woodcraft.......... The JET ended up in the bed of my truck.

The Delta fell first, very quickly, the fit and finish, the table mount and castings just weren't up to par. The Rikon came in a very close second, but a few key features such as the adjustable spindle on the lower wheel, the upper tensioning / quick release system, just seemed poorly engineered and weak to me.

The fit and finish on the Jet, the simplicity of the tensioning system, the double trunnion / lock on the table tilt and the roller guide system stood out. The lower HP motor was the only negative, the rest of it just felt better to me. My buddy was leaning towards the Rikon, but as we inspected the details, he agreed with my choice.....

Well, it's inda shop and outta da crate..... I'll get some fresh bat's for the camera and post pics later today......

Thanks for the input......... I'll let you all know later how the assembly and tuning goes..........

Corvin Alstot
05-06-2006, 7:14 PM
Tony/
I do not think the motor is not that significant a factor for that type
bandsaw. A 1/4HP range will only cut just a little bit slow (1-3/4 vs 2HP).
Hope you like enjoy your saw, I think it was a good selection.

Alan DuBoff
05-06-2006, 10:44 PM
I can't speak if I was you, but since I am me, and I did pull the trigger on the Jet 18X a few weeks ago, I know exactly what I'd do. :D There was a rebate that is unfortuately over, there was a $100 rebate on this bandsaw that ended on April 30.

My local Woodcraft had a 15% off sale on the Jet tools, and along with the $100 really pushed me over the edge.

The 18X is a great saw, and I'm happy with it. I was able to get a very thin veneer (in the 1/64" - 1/32" range) with the stock blade. Got a WoodSlicer blade but haven't had time to try it yet, hoping I can get a better cut even yet.

The Rikon also looks nice, and the cast wheel seems nice and sturdy. It was only 220v though, and one reason I was looking at the Jet to begin with. I can wire it to run off 220v though, should I want to. The Delta is nice also, and in fact I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three you mentioned.

Alan DuBoff
05-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Tony, after reading further I see you ended up with the Jet like I have. I think it's a wonderful saw, and I was able to get mine dialed in pretty nicely, it cuts wonderfully.

Congrats on your new saw, hope it serves you well.