PDA

View Full Version : The vortex is insatiable

Jim Davenport
05-05-2006, 2:26 PM
I went to a local wood turners meeting last night. Being a "NEWBIE" at this spinney stuff, I managed to get a couple of chunks of green wood.
Of course I didn't have anything to cut them with.
So this afternoon I made a trip to the "Borg", and came home with an 18" Echo chainsaw. :D.
Is there no end to this Feeding of the Vortex???:eek:

John Miliunas
05-05-2006, 2:31 PM
Way to go, Jim!!! Congrats! :D Now, the BIG question is: Do you have a nice bandsaw to trim up those blanks before chucking them up? How about the slow-speed grinder and grinding jigs? Hollow form jig? I'm sure you must have 20 or 30 or so lathe chisels too, right??? :D No sir, there truly is no end to the Vortex!!! But man, what a fun ride! :) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2006, 2:33 PM
Congrats on the chain saw Jim. To answer your question, nope there ain't no bottom to this hole in the vortex. Enjoy the new saw.

Joe Fisher
05-05-2006, 2:37 PM
Famous last words. They're like Lays...you can't stop at just one ;) I had to get an 18" Husqy for the big work, and a 16" electric for working inside.

Congrats on the saw, and sorry about the rest of your life savings :)

-Joe

John Hart
05-05-2006, 3:30 PM
It's funny....We all keep asking, "Is there a bottom to this pit?"

Being naturally curious, we keep digging to see how deep it goes.:)

Jim Becker
05-05-2006, 3:36 PM
Now, the BIG question is: Do you have a nice bandsaw to trim up those blanks before chucking them up? H

Not really required or necessary...lopping off the corners with the chainsaw is sufficient if you follow the technique that Bill Grumbine shows for roughing a turning in his DVD.