PDA

View Full Version : Norovirus

Joe Pelonio
05-05-2006, 2:17 PM
:( My wife's a special Education Para-Educator. She just found out that one of the boys she works with every day has been diagnosed with norovirus
so she's been exposed. I checked some websites and while it shouldn't be serious it sounds terrible when you have it and very contagious. No treatment, other than drinking lots of fluids. Anyone have any experience with it? (I hope not actually, but still could use more info) Looks like I'll be doing all the cooking and dishes for a while just to be safe.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-05-2006, 2:50 PM
There's a stomach bug going around.
Enjoy the weight loss. It's the only up-side.
One time I lost 9 pounds in three days.
It was not a happy three days.

Michael Stafford
05-05-2006, 2:56 PM
Joe, there are several noro-viruses most commonly referred to as Norwalk-like viruses. Typically they are transmitted by eating contaminated food and raw molluscan shellfish is one way of getting them. Symptoms can show up in less than 24 hours after exposure and can last more than 3 days. Most people clear up in 1-2 days. Symptoms include vomiting, cramps, diarrhea, headache and fever. I don't think it can be diagnosed easily and usually has to be confirmed by DNA confirmation or electron microscopes. No personal experience with them just work in the food regulatory business.

Joe Pelonio
05-05-2006, 3:15 PM
Thanks Mike and Cliff. This kid was confirmed by his doctor who told the mother she should notify the school, don't know what method they used.
Since I wrote the post they've sent several other kids home and my wife says they are sending a paper home with all 500+ students.

Added: Big Mike was right. My wife just called and said the the kid got it from his parents who were at a dinner party where all the guests got it.