PDA

View Full Version : Inoformation on Epilog Legend 24 EX

Drew Tomchick
05-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi, we are considering purchasing an Epilog Legend 24 EX engraver. I wanted to see if anyone here uses one, and get their opinions on it. We currently have a LaserPro Venus but would like to aquire another machine due to the volume we do in short amounts of time. While in our offices, we don't engrave a huge amount, but we attend venues where we can't keep up with the demand with just one machine.
The Epilog includes a rotary attachment that would allow us to perform engraving jobs that are frequently requested. Does anyone also have any experience running this? I'm not sure how this would work, or be set up? Could we use this to engrave a complete 360 degrees around a tube?
The material we engrave is almost exclusively anodized Aluminum if that makes a difference.
Any additional information, good and bad if I'm missing something important would also be appreciated.
Thanks
Drew

Joe Pelonio
05-05-2006, 1:50 PM
Drew,

Is that new or used? I didn't think they made that one any more, that it was replaced by the Helix. Last time I went to an area open house there were the minis, Helix 24, and 36EXT only, that was last summer.

I have a Legend 24TT and have been happy with it and the support from Epilog. Also I had great support and help from the local distributor, but just found out he is no longer doing it, for reasons unknown. That means the nearest sales office for me is in Colorado (I'm in Seattle area). I know there are people on this forum with the 24EX so wait and hopefully one will respond.

Drew Tomchick
05-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Drew,

Is that new or used? I didn't think they made that one any more, that it was replaced by the Helix. Last time I went to an area open house there were the minis, Helix 24, and 36EXT only, that was last summer.

I have a Legend 24TT and have been happy with it and the support from Epilog. Also I had great support and help from the local distributor, but just found out he is no longer doing it, for reasons unknown. That means the nearest sales office for me is in Colorado (I'm in Seattle area). I know there are people on this forum with the 24EX so wait and hopefully one will respond.

Joe thanks for the reply. Yes it is used. It was local and in the right price range was the reason I was interested in that model.

I would also would interested in comparing other models if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks
Drew

Michael McDuffie
05-08-2006, 12:44 PM
I have a nearly 5 year old Legend 24 70 watt machine. It has been a good machine. It's cut a lot of leather and marked a lot of brass without too much trouble. There where some early glitches in the firmware but that was taken care of long ago.

I do a full 360 engrave on brass tube but it does not quite line up. Mostly because I haven't bothered to get the line length exact. If I run a short piece, it can be way off (the ends don't meet left to right) so we stick with items 5" or longer. Mine has an error of a few percent in the rotory axis so that if I send a line 1' long, it comes out a hair short. With some tweaking, I can dial it in but don't need to on the parts I'm running. I think the o-rings have shrunk or the "fudge factor" in the firmware for the rotory is off a bit.

Michael