PDA

View Full Version : New Gloat: Bathtub for woodworking machines. Break out the arc welder!

Dev Emch
05-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Here is my newest toy. I bought this super tuff plastic stock tank which holds 150 gallons for every other use than feeding water to a cow! Instead, I plan on using this beastie for electrical stripping of OWWM parts. The first items into the bubble bath will me my northfield jointer parts. Now I can submerge an entire cast iron table or the whole body and hook it up to my welder set on DC arcweld service. Boy can this rig crank out the hydrogen gas! Right now its cold and raining again. About 30 degrees outside and wet. But as soon as things *DRY* off, the old northfield is going to get its arm pits scrubbed clean. Rubbi Dubbi Dub, I got the jointer in da tub!:D Dry would be good as a Miller Syncrowave 250 aint no tiny battery charger and I dont need a new doooo!

Alex Berkovsky
05-05-2006, 6:53 AM
Dev,
These Rubbermaid tubs are awesome for all kinds of use. I had one when I was into salwater fish tanks for curing the live rock.

Bill Lewis
05-05-2006, 7:04 AM
We have one we use for a doggie pool. A bit smaller than the one Dev's got.

Dev, you're funny. Gettin's all excited about mixing water and high current DC electricity. Hey maybe you can capture that H2 and power somthin' with it. How about a hybrid saw!:D :D :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-05-2006, 7:04 AM
Does the welder give you a fine level of control over lower power levels?

Jeff Horton
05-05-2006, 8:30 AM
I need a tank to do a Unisaw cabinet, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I thought about one of those but I am cheap and they are not. :) Will probably just build another trailer tank for the Unisaw cabinet.

OK, got me curious. While I am sure the welder does an excellent job. Are we not talking high(er) voltage and a risk of electrocution? I have a 180v power supply I considered but the voltage concerns me.

Granted you may be the only one with access to yours. I have to deal with curious animals that like to drink the water and do tight rope walks along the tanks edge.

Jim Becker
05-05-2006, 9:01 AM
Ah...we have one of those in our basement...it was used to over-winter our fish the winter before last before we had the "big" pond. I'm not sure what we will use it for now, but it will probably hang around in case we have a serious issue with the pond and need to put the fish somewhere temporarily.