View Full Version : Delta Grand Edition, Need to know if It's a good deal.

Chad McAllister
05-04-2006, 8:39 PM
Hello folks,
I Have a buddy of mine selling a 10" Right tilt Unisaw with a 52" Unifence. It has a plaque on it that says "Grand Edition Unisaw Manufactured by Delta Especially for Kay Fisher" I've looked eveywhere for info on this saw and the Cat # off the cabinet is 36-816.
My #1 Question is Is it worth the grand he's asking for it? I noticed It has a 52" Unifence, system with the table. It also has a mobile base 50-284, and also a uniguard blade guard 34-976. It seems, to me (and I'm no expert) to be in good shape, I also know that it was purchased from woodworkers warehouse in 1999, and has a 3HP motor. If anyone has some more opinions, or thinks this deal is worth it please let me know. It's seems like a good deal to me, but 1000 bucks is alot of money and I'd feel a little more confident if I had some advice from people who know about these things.

Chris Rosenberger
05-04-2006, 9:09 PM
I believe the saw alone is worth $1,000. With the uniguard & mobile base it is a bargain at that price.

Alan Turner
05-04-2006, 9:13 PM
I am sure that I am in the minority here, but to me the Unifence is a better fence than the Bies or Bies clones. That is a good buy.

Tim Clark
05-04-2006, 9:30 PM
Pull the trigger on that one Chad, before somebody else does it first.

I'm no expert but it borders on a steal at a Grand. It's a nice grab at the very least.

Jim Becker
05-04-2006, 9:48 PM
Good deal in my book...the only difference between that saw and other UniSaws is the paint color. (It was just a special edition in...um...Jet White...LOL...I had the contractors' style saw version before I bought my cabinet saw) With all the extras, a grand is a good price. IMHO.

Bruce Page
05-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Chad, if you’ve been looking for a great table saw, run, don’t walk, to your buddy’s house and buy it! I bought my GE Unisaw with the Biesemeyer fence in ’99 but I paid twice your buddy’s asking price including the mobile base. The Uniguard would be icing on the cake.

Jim, I happen to like the “Jet White” LOL! :D

Dev Emch
05-04-2006, 11:19 PM
So who is your buddy? Would that be Kay Fisher who is selling the saw? The first of these I can recall is the Norm Abram Limited Edition Unisaw sporting chrome handwheels, an included right side extension table and base, the unifence and one blade. Oh yah, you got two special name tags. One was the norm abram special edition plate and the other one was one that said manufactured for whoever by Delta, etc. blah blah blah. There is actually a norm abram special floating about in wood land with my name on it. Who owns it today? You got me!

Later on, Delta had to change the market campaign as folks were asking what the limited edition feature actually ment as they kept making and selling more and more of these. Whats so limited about limited edition? Well, they dropped Norm esp. after he went back to his plain jane unisaw with the beismeyer fence which he prefers and changed the saw to Grand Edition. No Biggie. Samo Samo.

So what does this all boil down to. Nothing. A limited edition unisaw is not like an oliver 88-DY in which the DY portion meant a whole lot of extra capability and obtaining one used is next to freakin impossible. Sometimes I think Oliver can count every DY made on two hands or less! Now that is limited edition! These saws are however, US made unisaws made just prior to the overall demise of the US made unisaw. They are good machines and good candidates for a solid unisaw. But they are no better than any other good condition unisaw. If your looking for a unisaw in the used market and you run into one of these at a good price, snag it. But dont pay any extra for all that special paint and name tag-ology. Its not worth a dime. The carcas of the machine is where the worth lies and its identical to any other unisaw.

Oh Yah... From what I have seen, the typical price for a nice unisaw in the used market ranges from $750 to $1200 dollars. Age, options, accessories and condition determine the final price. Personally I think the machine is overpriced a tad in this range but the notority and cult status of the machine seem to keep this price up.

Bill Lewis
05-05-2006, 5:20 AM
$1k for a unisaw as described is a very fair deal. I agree with Dev, all the "limited" and "special" editions that Delta put out doesn't make the saw worth any more than a comparable unisaw. Maybe in 50-75 years you'll see one on the "Antiques Roadshow" :D

In fact when I read your post, all I read in to it was: unisaw, 52" unifence, 3 hp, mobil base. The special pedigree didn't even factor, and I didn't even consider it until Dev brought it up (interesting history though).

Actually, for the area that I live in this would be a better than fair deal. I've seen lesser and incomplete unisaws sell for, or advertise for more. The larger problem is that they don't come around that often. You might not see another like this for years. If it was me, and I was in the market, I would have bought it already.

PS Alan, You're not alone, I also prefer the unifence over the bies. Though I also miss my old jet lock with the rack and pinion fine adjust knob. Umm, actually I only miss the knob, not the fence :)

Jim Becker
05-05-2006, 9:10 AM
Jim, I happen to like the “Jet White” LOL! Yes, when I bought the GE Contractors' Style Saw in 1998, that was my motivation...it matched my Jet equipment and I happen to like off-white machinery aesthetically in the shop.

Brent Smith
05-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Definately a good deal, and I agree with Alan about the unifence. Being able to turn it and have a low fence has come in handy many times.

Brent

Ron Jones near Indy
05-05-2006, 6:27 PM
I think that is a very good buy. Go for it--I don't think you will be disappointed.

Chad McAllister
05-05-2006, 7:49 PM
Thank you all for your input, I'm definitely going to buy it. Like I had said I'm pretty new to the whole woodworking addiction, and my buddy just happened to remind me recently that he had this. I guess now the main problem is, How to fit it in my already crowded garage?:D

John Kain
05-05-2006, 8:08 PM
Thank you all for your input, I'm definitely going to buy it. Like I had said I'm pretty new to the whole woodworking addiction, and my buddy just happened to remind me recently that he had this. I guess now the main problem is, How to fit it in my already crowded garage?:D

So, tell a fellow newbie............

How is it to walk into a quality TS without even trying. I'm so jealous. Of course, I have no place for a nice, big TS..............but I'd move the Acura out of the garage if I had to!

Ray Bersch
05-05-2006, 8:14 PM
Chad, welcome to SMC - it seems like you have a winner of a first post, just one check away from a super gloat.

My take on used equipment is to go for name brand stuff that is in good to excellent condition and that is going for a substantial discount from new. In my opinion, the closer I get to the new equipment price, the better the condition has to be and the more I really want a manufacturer's guarantee (which is not available on used stuff so I will go for new unless I need it right away.) If you happen to pay a few bucks too much but you are happy with the machine, so what. Now who is to say what is too much, in this range it would be plus or minus $200 for me. So, if 6 months later I happen to see one for $800, well so what - it is better to have a good machine at a fair price than wait for one with an excellent price and never find it.

From what our guys are saying - break out your check book - but don't be afraid to ask for a demonstration, check for rust, listen to the motor, turn the blade by hand and listen for bearing noise, check the tables for flatness, etc., etc. (you can read all about what to look for in a good table saw book)

And stay with us for awhile - you will enjoy the experience.
Ray

Chad McAllister
05-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to the creek, but I had been working severe amounts of Overtime at work, and then assembling this....

I've spent the last few days squaring, lubing, and cleaning her up. Not to mention running a 240 to her.

Finally, today, I got to start her. All I can say about that is, WOW! what a difference from my portable RIDGID contractor saw.I never new that turning scrap wood into smaller scrap wood could be so FUN!:D

This is the point where some of you may be asking youselves, "Why is he so happy to hear the saw, didn't he try it out before he bought it?" Ummm short answer, well... only answer is, no. My friend never got around to getting a 240 installed. It may sound silly to some, but that's me, SILLY!:D

Thanks to all of you who gave your two cents, and helped me decide to buy it! after getting her going I can see it was deffinitely worth it!

Bruce Page
05-24-2006, 2:37 PM
Except fot the Unifence & Uniguard, it looks just like mine. Ya done good!

Bruce Wrenn
05-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Delta came out with white paint scheme first, but didn't "trademark" it. Jet mearly copied it and ran with it as their standard color. Seems like their cabinet saw and bandsaw look kinda like a Delta too. Now Shop Fox does the same. As Rodney said- No Respect!

Michael Gibbons
05-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Chad, You mean to tell us here at SMC that you bought a BRAND NEW- NEVER TURNED-ON Unisaw for a grand? With all the accessories? WOWEE! Thats me,Day late-Dollar short. great deal.

Michael

Frank Pellow
05-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Chad, congratulations on the saw acquisition, and welcome to Saw Mill Creek.

tod evans
05-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Chad, You mean to tell us here at SMC that you bought a BRAND NEW- NEVER TURNED-ON Unisaw for a grand? With all the accessories? WOWEE! Thats me,Day late-Dollar short. great deal.

Michael

ya` done good chad!

Matt Moore
05-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Yeh, i am jealous. I spent that much on my contractor saw after getting a mobile base and right side table.

Chad McAllister
05-30-2006, 8:44 PM
Actually the saw had been turned on, Guess I shoulda clarified this more. My friend bought it off the Kay Fisher fella, and then never ran a line to it. He had seen it run when he purchased it from him. I never had a chance to see it run, until I had bought and assembled it.