PDA

View Full Version : Concensus on Clamp Masters?

Dick Holt
08-29-2003, 1:22 PM
I was wondering what the consensus was on the Jorgensen Clamp Master clamps. Are they as good as the Besseys?
Dick

Jim Becker
08-29-2003, 1:35 PM
I was wondering what the consensus was on the Jorgensen Clamp Master clamps. Are they as good as the Besseys?
Dick

Mine are on "delayed shipping" status, so I'll have to wait a couple more weeks to find out. I suspect that there will be little differentiation in general terms.

Eric Apple - Central IN
08-29-2003, 1:42 PM
I've had them for some time. I reach for orange first, and use the red once I run out of orange. Both are fantastic. I like the orange ones a little better. Bigger clamp surface, larger handle, larger clamp bar.

Dennis McDonaugh
08-29-2003, 1:43 PM
Dick,

They both work the same (ease of use) so I don't have a preference for one over the other. I only use them for clamping things that are hard to square like table tops because I don't like their action. Its too difficult to move the jaws up and down and you can't use them one handed.

Bill Esposito
08-29-2003, 1:46 PM
DickDick,
I can't compare them to the Besseys but I can to the Gross Stabil.

Construction wise I think the Gross Stabil have the edge. They appear more solid and all the parts are easily replaceable. Additionally the GS clamps include jaw pads. The Joryg's however are definately easier to use for one handed operation. The sliding action of the Jorgy is much smoother and easier than the GS.

Also, the older GS I have don't have the foot but I just emailed GS and they are sending me out 8 of the feet at no charge.

I havent used the Jorgy's for real yet so I cant comment further or tell you which I like best but there's no reason that I can see why the Jorgy's wont work well.

Another thing that should be a plus for the Jorgy's is that they have a smooth bar which should make glue removal much easier than on the indexed bars.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-29-2003, 3:40 PM
Dick

I think they are comparable with some nice little extras on the Jorggies. The Jorggies have a plastic piece on the end which keeps them more stable when lying on a table. And the bar material is shinnier which is more esthectic than anything but they just look nicer. The handle is bigger and the amount of pressure you can bring to bear is the same with both I think. The Jorggies don't have notches on the bar sides for gripping like the Bessies do but they lock down tight and don't slip. I actually like them better and I get the feeling they're a company that's just trying a little harder to please their customers. Alan in Md.