PDA

View Full Version : TS Question

Jason Morgan
05-04-2006, 6:49 PM
I have a contractor type saw that I really like except for the dusst collection. Ive seen lots of people try to cut out a back template to seal up the back and all the other slots in the piece. Ive tried this and it works somewhat, but not that well (in my case anyway) and I have to remove it to tilt the blade. What I am considering is building an base and rear enclosure that would enclose the entive back of the saw and am wondering if that would be hard on the motor/ I know that cabinet saws have motors in with the saw dust, but is there anything wrong with this idea for a cabinet saw? Its a powermatic 64A if that matters. Anyone ever tried this?

Thanks

Michael Ballent
05-04-2006, 7:44 PM
I have never seen anyone do this. I believe that your saw has a TEFC motor on it so dust getting into the motor would not be a problem, but they may have chosen a motor that will disipate some of the heat based on the fact that its in the open. So based on this assumption you will need to make sure that you have ample airflow in the cabinet to make sure that you are moving fresh (presumably cool air) into the cabinet and the hot air is being sucked out. One thing to remember when using a DC is that you are trying to move a lot of air, so you do not want to tighten up the cabinet so tight that you are not moving air. If you have 650CFM moving out, you need 650CFM to replace it :D and a way for it to come into the cabinet.

Aside from that, I think that you are coming up with a very clever idea :D

Tom Jones III
05-05-2006, 7:51 AM
Just wanted to make sure that you were aware, the DC on a cabinet saw is terrible. I've got the PM 66 and a dust gorilla with 6" ducting right up to the TS. To get really good DC you've got to have an overhead guard with DC built in.

glenn bradley
05-05-2006, 2:41 PM
I have a Penn State overarm guard/collector and a mere 650CFM via a 4 inch hose to the shop-sealed bottom of the contractors saw. This, a zero clearance insert and a velcro (for removal during angle cuts) attached panel with slots for the belt and motor supports at the back of the saw and I run almost dust free.

This was not the case until I realized I'd buttoned up the saw compartment so well there was no way to get enough air in to allow decent air flow. Widening the slots for the belt and motor mounts in my velcro plywood cover panel did the trick. I make lots of dust but, none comes out of the openings. They're too busy feeding air into the saw cabinet and through the DC hose.

Norman Hitt
05-05-2006, 3:42 PM
....where someone posted a Picture of how they had made a Base Cabinet and Boxed in the motor on the Contractor saw they had previously owned? It was a very nice setup, allowing full use including tilting the blade. Maybe you can find it on a search of the archives. They had painted it Machinery Grey, IIRC, and it kinda looked like a new Craftsman (cabinet type) saw, with an extended box out the back at the top part to enclose the motor.

Note: If you are concerned about motor cooling, on that design, you could drill two or three 1" holes in the box in back of the motor to let some cooling/supply air flow in over the motor and be sucked out by the DC.

Good Luck.