PDA

View Full Version : Odd visitor to my studio

Jeff Horton
05-04-2006, 5:40 PM
George dropped in a couple of days ago and seems to like it in the studio. He has taken up residence under one of the sconces that lights my stairwell. Not sure what he is but he is neat looking.

Anyone know anything about him? Not sure if he is moth of butterfly. I am assuming a moth but no antenna.

Lee DeRaud
05-04-2006, 6:28 PM
Moth, I think:

If I remember right, one of the ways to tell is, moths rest with their wings stuck out horizontally (like the photo), butterflies rest with their wings together vertically (like the fin on a shark :D ).

John Hart
05-04-2006, 6:41 PM
He has his antennae laying down. They are big and wide and laying on his back. It's a moth. KILL IT!!!! :D Just kidding....it's a beauty!

Jim Dunn
05-04-2006, 6:48 PM
Looks like a funny shaped bird of some kind. Probably poison, don't touch it.

Paul Douglass
05-04-2006, 6:58 PM
:D Look real pretty epoxied in the bottom of a bowl!

Bruce Page
05-04-2006, 7:06 PM
So whataya got against the name George? :D
Seriously, that’s a cool looking moth!

Greg Savage
05-04-2006, 7:09 PM
It looks like a Cecropia or a Polyphemus moth....Hard to tell from the photo.

Barry Stratton
05-04-2006, 7:31 PM
Only one real way to tell. Butterflies taste like honey, moths taste like moth balls......

I agree with Paul. Spray lacquer that puppy and inlay him in a bowl or bottlestopper!

Pat Salter
05-04-2006, 8:59 PM
I don't know what impress's me the most, the beautiful whatever it is or the fact that you have a "studio".;)

Mike Ramsey
05-04-2006, 9:27 PM
Yep, I would stick him and save him for an inlay...or a paper weight,
or tie a little bitty string to his feet and fly it around the room..
just kidding of course!

Corey Hallagan
05-04-2006, 9:40 PM
I would get the raid and lay into it. Can't stand flying, buzzing, creepy crawling buggers of any kind! Especially those that work there way out of wood during turning!!

Corey

Jeff Horton
05-04-2006, 9:44 PM
He has his antennae laying down.
Amazing. I looked at him every day for two days now and never saw them. But there they are in the photo.

My wife said he looked like a piece of bark. I can see how he would hide very well on a tree. Need to tell him the white wall is just not his color. But he left so maybe he figured it out. I like to think he was just admiring my work. :D