PDA

View Full Version : Gifkins Dovetail Jig??

Lewis Perry
05-04-2006, 1:57 PM
I'm considering dovetail jigs--I'm too old to have a complicated one --The Gifkins looks rather simple--anyone with any experience with one? The OKC woodcraft store is having a demo on the Akeda Saturday--hoping to go to that to check it out. Thanks for any help

Vaughn McMillan
05-04-2006, 2:06 PM
First of all, welcome to the Creek, Larry. Your post is the first mention I've seen of the Gifkins jig (so no personal experience...sorry), but it looks like a pretty simple way to do machine-cut dovetails.

- Vaughn

Bob Noles
05-04-2006, 2:31 PM
Lewis,

Welcome to SMC!

I have the PC4212 and find it fairly easy to use for dovetails. Also I have heard many good things about the Keller that may be worth looking into. It appears to be one of the most simple ones out there. Unfortunately, I have not heard of the one you mentioned so I cannot be of any help there.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-04-2006, 3:10 PM
If simplicity is your bag then the Akeda will serve nicely.

But, whatever you do, don't buy in to any myths about complexity. There is not one thing complex about the others. Some will do both blind and through DTs and other's won't some are adjustable and others aren't. Not one dovetail jig that Actually, they aren't complex at all. They are nothing more than guides for a router with a bushing installed.

Some of the things people do with them can be a tad challanging but once you run some scrap through one you'll be a pro.

Jerry Bittner
05-05-2006, 11:14 AM
I agree with Cliff. Bought the Akeda and was making very good dovetails in no time. Plus, the service from the company is outstanding. Ran into a problem with my first jig and an e-mail to the company brought forth an answer from the president himself with word that a new jig was on its way WITHOUT waiting for me to return the defective one.

Pricey somewhat but quality material and as I said, outstanding customer service.

Allen Bookout
05-05-2006, 1:48 PM
Lewis,

Welcome to the Creek!

I thought that you had made a mistake when you said "Gifkins Dovetail Jig" but sure enough a Google search turned it up. Needless to say that I do not know anything about it.

I can vouch for the Akeda and their customer service. I had sent in for the free two bit offer when I purchased mine and they did not arrive by the date given. It was just a couple of days before Christmas but I sent them an email about it anyway and got a response back right away from Mr. Kevan Lear President of Akeda. He said that they had had a fire that had delayed some shipments and he was home and they were closed for the holidays but if I needed them in a hurry he had some in his desk at work and he would go down there and send them off right away. I declined his offer of course since I did not need them and it was a free offer anyway. How can you ask for anything more than that?

Allen

CPeter James
05-05-2006, 7:28 PM
Another Akeda fan here. I use mine a lot and it is great!!!!!

CPeter

Brian Hale
05-05-2006, 7:44 PM
Welcome To The Creek Lewis!

For simple and inexpensive the Keller jig cannot be beat. For $150 (including the bits) you'll be making perfect dovetails in no time at all. After fabricating the fence, (a scrap piece of 4x4 is what i used) it took me 30 minutes to make my first tight joint in oak. After a few practice joints I'm now able to setup and cut a joint in ~15 minutes and they're tight every time.

I got mine from Highland Hardware.

Brian :)