PDA

View Full Version : 6" PVC OD vs. 7" Snaplock outside diameter?

Darl Bundren
05-04-2006, 11:19 AM
I am in the process of installing a Clearvue Cyclone. The cyclone and gates are constructed to fit snugly around 6" PVC pipe. I am looking at maybe going with snaplock because of price and local availability, and the 6" snaplock section I picked up is a pretty loose fit. I am wondering how the outside diameter of 6" PVC and 7" snaplock compare. The wall of the snaplock is obviously thinner to offset the greater inside diameter, so what kind of a fit would I get in a fitting that's designed for 6" pvc if I used the 7" snaplock?

Jim Becker
05-04-2006, 1:51 PM
If that cyclone was designed to work with 6" ID duct, you should probably stick with it. You should be able to build up the pipe a bit with foil tape, etc. to get a snug fit where it mates with the cyclone. Be sure you are using at least 26 guage snap-lock, too. The 30 guage stuff from the home center is pretty risky given the performance of your cyclone's fan.

Darl Bundren
05-04-2006, 7:29 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, Jim. I stopped by Lowe's after work today and figured out that the 6" snaplock fits inside of the 6" PVC pretty snugly. I've about decided that I am going to cut six or so inch PVC collars to attach to the cyclone and gates and then attach the snaplock to the collars. That way I'll get a decent fit initially. I'm not sure if the female end of the snaplock will fit inside of the PVC, so I'll have to check that before I proceed. I may end up using couplers for some transitions. And, I am planning on using 26 gauge. Thanks again.