PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite hollowform with turquoiS--pics--photo critique wanted

Curtis O. Seebeck
05-03-2006, 8:58 PM
Here is a mesquite hollowform I did recently with turquois embossing powder/ca fill . The collar is Texas ebony. It is 6" diameter and 2 1/4" tall. The finish is high gloss Formby's tung oil finish and then buffed. I consider it my best work and it is my favorite piece.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/MesquiteMan/CrescentMoon4.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/MesquiteMan/crescentmoon2.jpg

On a different note, these pictures were barely adjusted at all. I think they are a lot better after using some of you guys advice but they still are not exactly where I would like them to be. Please tell what I ned to do to get better pictures.

I have adjusted my white balance and got rid of the grey paper. I have some bad hot spots I don't like, though. When I played around with light placement I did not get enough light and they came out too dark. What would you suggest? Still using the halogen lights and my light tent with a thin white sheet.

John Miliunas
05-03-2006, 9:10 PM
Curtis, that's gorgeous! Nice touch with the inlay, as well. Yes, you should be very proud of that piece! :)

As for trying to get rid of the hotspots, you may want to angle your halogens up a bit, so that they're not shooting directly at the subject. I think that maybe you're getting a more focused (narrow path) light, which the diffuser isn't completely taking care of. If you angle them off a bit, you'll retain the bulk of the light but, it won't be as direct. :) :cool:

Gilbert Vega
05-03-2006, 9:17 PM
Curtis, that's a beautiful hollow form! I like using torquise as you do to add a little interest. Totally beautiful.

Mark Cothren
05-03-2006, 9:19 PM
Looks great to me, Curtis! And if you love it then that makes it even more better!

Michael Stafford
05-03-2006, 9:24 PM
That is a beautiful piece, Curtis. Congratulations!

Corey Hallagan
05-03-2006, 9:28 PM
Nice work Curtis. That is a wondeful piece!

Corey

Travis Stinson
05-03-2006, 9:35 PM
Great job Curtis. The torquoise is a very nice touch.:cool:

Jim Becker
05-03-2006, 9:43 PM
Very nice, Curtis! Nice hollow-form and the inlay really works!

Lee DeRaud
05-03-2006, 9:43 PM
Way cool!

Is 'Texas ebony' the same thing as ironwood?

Curtis O. Seebeck
05-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Lee,

Ironwood is a term rather than a variety of wood. I think the only exception is desrt ironwood. I have heard that any wood that will not float is an ironwood. Generally every location has a wood that they call ironwood and is generally anything very heavy and dense.

With that definition, Texas Ebony is definately an ironwood, at least from the hardness and density. Not sure if it floats or not, though. Have not tried it! Texas ebony is actually a mimosa I believe.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my bowl. I appreciate it!

Andy Hoyt
05-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Well done, Curtis.

Finestkind!

Ernie Nyvall
05-03-2006, 10:17 PM
That is really wonderful Curtis. I see why it is your favorite.

Ernie

Barry Stratton
05-03-2006, 10:36 PM
That is beautiful and the inlay really highlights the wood.

Definitely a keeper! You need to do more like that....

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Beautiful HF and I love the inlay Curtis. Wow.

Lee DeRaud
05-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Lee,

Ironwood is a term rather than a variety of wood. I think the only exception is desrt ironwood. I have heard that any wood that will not float is an ironwood. Generally every location has a wood that they call ironwood and is generally anything very heavy and dense.

With that definition, Texas Ebony is definately an ironwood, at least from the hardness and density. Not sure if it floats or not, though. Have not tried it! Texas ebony is actually a mimosa I believe.Ah, ok. I've got a couple of carved pieces from Mexico or southern Arizona that were labelled 'ironwood' when I bought them, sure looks like the same stuff your top is turned out of.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-04-2006, 1:48 AM
I can understand your feelings about the piece...............................IT IS AWESOME! The Turquoise really works on that piece.

Bruce

John Hart
05-04-2006, 4:23 AM
Just beautiful Curtis!!!! I love the form and what you've done with the turquoise. A match made in heaven.:)

Sometimes, when I get a hotspot, I'll hold something like a piece of cardboard over the hotspot source and shade the piece a bit. I'm still trying to figure out my lighting as well.:o

Ed Scolforo
05-04-2006, 5:21 AM
Beautiful piece, Curtis. I can see why you're happy with it!
Ed

tod evans
05-04-2006, 7:11 AM
very nice work curtis!

Steve Ash
05-04-2006, 7:20 AM
A big WOW from me as well. That is an absolutely gorgeous piece that you made, you did yourself proud!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-04-2006, 7:39 AM
I was going to tell you it was awful, send it to me to be disposed of, but hey, I can't say a bad thing about it............. wait a minute, yes I can, the bad thing is that I'm not able to do that kind of nice work.......:D

Cheers!

Sparky Paessler
05-04-2006, 7:45 AM
Beautiful piece Curtis! I would be proud of it also. Love the wood and how you used the torquoise with it.

Glenn Hodges
05-04-2006, 8:19 AM
Curtis I am a big fan of mesquite, and you have used it in an artistic form which I like. The inlay compliments the wood because they are from the same part of the country, this was a nice touch. The lines of the piece show good flow with no flat spots visible to me in the pictures you submitted. I have turned ironwood from Texas, and I also appreciate the use of this wood in the collar. You have created a beautiful piece of which you or anyone would love to own. Thanks for showing it to us.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-04-2006, 8:23 AM
Gorgeous use of wood, form and finish Curtis!

Jim Becker
05-04-2006, 9:20 AM
Curtis, I forgot to comment on the photo. The one concern I have (outside of the hot-spots which I'm sure you're working on) is that there is a lack of contrast. I don't know if it's your camera or specifically the shooting environment, but it's just not "crispy". There is actually too much background light and it's causing you to lose the edges of the piece. You might try to play with that a little in your photo software. I faddled with it for a few moments as seen below, but the back/top edges still are not right.

John Timberlake
05-04-2006, 9:51 AM
Even without the turquoise, this is a gorgeous piece. The small amount of turquoise just sets it off nicely. Nicely designed form with a pretty collar. Good grain in the wood and the filled cracks add the piece. Keep up the good work.