PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosa maple anyone?

Dominic Greco
05-03-2006, 8:25 PM
Hello Everyone,

I just had a 31" diameter x 60' tall Silver Maple tree cut down. I figured that with my luck, the figure and grain would be as plain as hell. But that is not the case. It seems that the Ambrosia Beetle had a little dinner party with this tree. The wood features those classic pin holes and streaks of Ambrosia Maple.:D I've attached pictures to show you what it looks like.

I told the tree surgeon to leave the trunk in 2' long chucks. But he must have had a weird ruler. Cause' these logs are about 4' long!:D

Anyway, if you're local to the Philly/New Jersey Area (Im in Buck's County PA) and interested in picking up some rather LARGE ambrosia maple for FREE, please contact me. But don't wait too long. I already notified my Woodturning Club members.

Jim Ketron
05-03-2006, 9:24 PM
Nice looking Ambrosia Dom!
Should not be any problem giving some away!

Jim Becker
05-03-2006, 9:41 PM
Awesome...save a hunk for me, Dominic! I'll try to find a way to get it from you...don't have the pickup anymore and haven't bought a trailer yet to compensate. And I have about 15 trees coming down "soon" for a driveway project and will be happy to give you some of the proceeds in exchange...whatever they may end up being.

Andy Hoyt
05-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Hey, Dom. David Lancaster and I will be traveling through the area on Sunday or Monday. Can you spare a piece or two for us?

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-04-2006, 1:58 AM
Would LOVE to have some................. will be in Bensalem on May 18----25, BUT SHMBO would KILL me, if I loaded any big chunks of ANY wood in her pretty and CLEAN Buick.

I'll just dream of you folks making great things with it.

Bruce

Dominic Greco
05-04-2006, 6:27 AM
Hey, Dom. David Lancaster and I will be traveling through the area on Sunday or Monday. Can you spare a piece or two for us?

Since I've been working some heavy OT (including Saturdays), Monday is pretty much out. (I wouldn't get home in time, nor be in any shape to think coherently!) I'm leave for work before the sun is up and get home when it's dark. I feel like a Mole. I'm not sure what the wife has planned for me on Sunday. I'll have to get back to you.

Dominic Greco
05-04-2006, 6:29 AM
Awesome...save a hunk for me, Dominic! I'll try to find a way to get it from you...don't have the pickup anymore and haven't bought a trailer yet to compensate. And I have about 15 trees coming down "soon" for a driveway project and will be happy to give you some of the proceeds in exchange...whatever they may end up being.

Jim,
Cool! I'll set aside a piece for you. We'll have to work out a mutually agreeable time. Like I told Andy, I'm working A LOT of overtime on this UAV Launcher Project here at work.

Later,
Dominic