PDA

View Full Version : Painting Kitchen cabinets

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
08-28-2003, 11:21 PM
I have the cheapie big borg cabinets with the thin trying-to-look-like-wood laminate on the panels. In a good light lt looks like the factory people didn't attempt to clean off the sawdust before applying the laminate.. I suspect it is vinyl, but I don't know. Does anyone have an answer on how to prepare these for painting?

Another question regards the ceiling where I took down a cabinet and and want to fill the spot in with the half inch thick foam ceiling tile. The new tile is pure white and the old tile is very brownish from years of being in the kitchen. How would I prepare the old tile for spray painting to get all the tile to match?

Bobby Hatfield
08-31-2003, 9:30 AM
I have the cheapie big borg cabinets with the thin trying-to-look-like-wood laminate on the panels. In a good light lt looks like the factory people didn't attempt to clean off the sawdust before applying the laminate.. I suspect it is vinyl, but I don't know. Does anyone have an answer on how to prepare these for painting?

Another question regards the ceiling where I took down a cabinet and and want to fill the spot in with the half inch thick foam ceiling tile. The new tile is pure white and the old tile is very brownish from years of being in the kitchen. How would I prepare the old tile for spray painting to get all the tile to match?

Don, check out your local automotive paint store for vinyl paint they use on some material on autos. Don't know if they would have your color but that is only solution I know. Don't think lacquer or alklyd would adhere. Check out cabinet shops in the area, ask them if they have attempted to paint any cabs like that.
On the ceiling, I would use an airless and spray latex.

Phil Phelps
09-03-2003, 9:03 PM
I would bet the tiles will accept latex paint. I'd use a ceiling white and roll it with a 3/4"-1' nap roller cover. The cabinets are another thing. I have done some in the past and used Bin pigmented shellac. Alcohol base product, and I spray it. They sell it in aerosol cans, so maybe you can test a drawer or something small. A more commercial technique is using an epoxy primer. It's an automotive product and, a quart with the catalyst, runs about $50. Nasty stuff to spray. Must use respirator and exhaust fan, and the whole nine yards. Good luck, Don.