PDA

View Full Version : How uncool would it be...

Gail O'Rourke
05-03-2006, 7:03 PM
if the irrigation repairman stole my cordless drill from my shop (let him into the basement that way).....well - I can't find it anywhere, and given it is actually clean, I could have cleaned it up and put it away....let's hope that's the case.

Anyway, I have a black and decker 18 volt cordless that I have had forever and really love - what I like about it is that the chuck is removeable and there is a second insert in the drill. I just went to check at HD to see if they had them and they don't have the one with removeable chuck. Anyone know a drill that has one? My makita doesn't either....

grrr.... I will have to look more tomorrow.

Bruce Page
05-03-2006, 7:13 PM
Gail, that would certainly be uncool, but it wouldn’t be the first time. If you become convinced that it disappeared you should definitely call his boss. :mad:

Bill Esposito
05-03-2006, 7:41 PM
Gail, the Festools have removeable chucks....a bit more expensive than the B&D though :) but the versatility of having those different chucks seems worth it.

Jesse Cloud
05-03-2006, 7:57 PM
Gail, the Festools have removeable chucks....a bit more expensive than the B&D though :) but the versatility of having those different chucks seems worth it.

I feel a little dense right now, but what is the advantage of a removeable chuck?

Thanks for humoring an old coot.

Carl Hill
05-03-2006, 8:03 PM
Gail, I thought only guys did that. "Honey, someone stole my drill, I guess I'll have to go buy a new one." I think it'll work, good job.

Carl

Gail O'Rourke
05-03-2006, 8:26 PM
I like the removeable chuck for when I need to predrill and drill at the same time, it's a quick step to put drill in chuck - predrill and then pop off and use the screw bit and finish up....It's just something that I am used to.

And, my Makita, the chuck also slips open and I never have that problem with the BD.

Michael Ballent
05-03-2006, 8:33 PM
To add to what Gail said it also makes the drill smaller so you can get into smaller spaces.

James Ayars
05-03-2006, 8:48 PM
Gail, B&D still makes that type of drill. Their Firestar has that set up.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=22251-79992-FS1400D&lpage=none

Gail O'Rourke
05-03-2006, 8:53 PM
James thanks, I saw the same ones at HD, but the chuck wasn't removable on them.

Thank you...I am going to search one more time in the morning and then head over to Lowes.

Thank you thank you.

Dwayne Payne
05-03-2006, 9:35 PM
Gail,

have you considered this setup from Jack Rabbit? Drill remove and drive screws.

Dwayne

http://www.jackrabbittool.com/

Ken Belisle
05-04-2006, 6:49 AM
Watched Norm use one for years before I finally wrote and asked what that drill/scewdriver combination tool was. Ordered the set and have used it for years with no complaints whatsoever. Probably one of the best small tools I have in my shop that I wouldn't want to be without. Very handy!!!!

Just my opinion.......

Jim Becker
05-04-2006, 8:35 AM
have you considered this setup from Jack Rabbit? Drill remove and drive screws.

I did a review on the Jack Rabbit system a few years ago and found it to be a very good product.
------

Gail, assuming the tool walked...I can think of quite a number of "bad words" (in both English and Russian) that would apply to the situation... ;)

As to a driver with a removable chuck, et al, my Festool TDK has that feature and I love it. There are several "front ends" available, too, including right-angle. Very handy for cabinet work and installation, not to mention general shop use. The weight of the 12v unit I own is also very nice, especially if you have a smaller hand. Yes, more expensive, but you're a pro...perhaps you can hook up with Uncle Bob (or John Lucas) and go for a test drive.

Ellen Benkin
05-04-2006, 10:57 AM
How about assuming innocence and just call the guy to ask if he used it while at your place and where he might have put it down when he finished. Maybe he did take it and maybe it was an accident. God knows I've misplaced enough tools while wandering around my shop absent mindedly moving things.

chester stidham
05-05-2006, 3:56 AM
Gail, if you need a new drill look at the mekita 14.4 impact driver they have a set with both drill and impact drivers then you never have to switch between bits thats what I did you can't beat the power of the impact even with a 24 volt drill, I bought one to build a fence and i'm sold on them I bought mine before they started giveing you a free drill so now i'v got four batries and two chargers man what a time saver on a big job. but it dose suck that pepole take things like that last year when I was on vacation some got in my garage and took my son's KX 250 dirt bike but for some resion left all my tools thank god but we got lucky and karma got him he took it out ridding at a local track and crashed off a big jump and killed him self and when the sherif came to do the report he ran the numbers on the bike and we got it back with just a little damage is that karma or what ! gess the dog door for my saintbernared wasen't the best idea lol.:rolleyes: hope you find it.

Tim Morton
05-05-2006, 5:53 AM
Hey gail...check out the infomercial for the dual driving drill...:D :D :D

Just "grip and flip"

https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/allstar/dualdrill/189168/

Dwayne Payne
05-05-2006, 7:25 AM
I recieved one of the Dual-Drills as a gift. It is a neat little gadget. I think it is heavy, and when you have a longer bit installed and facing down in the unused psition it will not sit on its bottom. You have to lay it down and after years of sitting my drill down on its battery I find is distracting when I have to lay it down.

Dwayne