PDA

View Full Version : Goblets

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2006, 4:41 PM
My wife took the goblet I made of walnut and ash to work with here along with about 4 boxes. One lady wanted to know if I could make her 4 of them and if they could be used for wine. Another one wanted either 4 or 6 if they could be used. So my question is when you turn these what finish could or would be used in order to use them as wine or beverage goblets?

I also have to make 5 boxes of the combo woods. She didn't care what woods but like the contrast. My wife asked her what kind of design and she said just surprise me. Thanks.

Bob Noles
05-03-2006, 5:23 PM
Be careful Bernie.....

Looks like your hobby is about to turn into a 3rd business :D :D :p

Keith Burns
05-03-2006, 5:52 PM
Man Bernie that is cool. Congrats. Sorry I can't help with the finish question. Why does anyone want to drink from art anyway?

Joe Fisher
05-03-2006, 8:04 PM
There's always the no-finish finish. Just don't put any finish on it, or use a little oil or wax. The wood will develop its own patina over time, just like a cutting board.

I haven't tried it for red wines, yet, but I will :)

You can also try POR15 clear. I'm going to try this myself when I get around to buying some.

-Joe

Corey Hallagan
05-03-2006, 8:15 PM
Awesome Bernie, that is great!! Congrats!

Corey

Bill Grumbine
05-03-2006, 8:29 PM
Hi Bernie

I use Bartley's Gel Varnish on goblets. It is a polyurethane, and should do a pretty good job of protecting the wood. Congratulations on the job! You will either love or hate making goblets by the time you are done. Charge a lot, because they will be worth it.

Bill

Barry Stratton
05-03-2006, 9:43 PM
All right Bernie!!! Congrats on the orders......or should I say "commissions"? Up to 10 goblets and 5 boxes????? Dude, your tool collection sounds like ti will grow. Lets see, a coring tool, hollowmaster, etc.....

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2006, 10:50 PM
I have thought of a couple of things that I would like to run by you folks on here. I wonder if John Harts epoxy cocktail would work on the inside of the goblet and then coat with Poly Gel varnish as Bill suggested . Also what about Tung oil and then a gel poly on top of that. Let it cure for a few weeks. What do you think????:confused:

John Hart
05-04-2006, 4:42 AM
I have thought of a couple of things that I would like to run by you folks on here. I wonder if John Harts epoxy cocktail would work on the inside of the goblet and then coat with Poly Gel varnish as Bill suggested . Also what about Tung oil and then a gel poly on top of that. Let it cure for a few weeks. What do you think????:confused:

I was thinking the same thing...Although, it's not my cocktail. I think that belongs to Curtis Seebeck. But it would probably soak in real nice and seal deep, then the Poly Gel would be sauce for the goose.:) Looks like you're in demand Bernie. Congratulations!