PDA

View Full Version : Best HDTV TV??

Jerry Olexa
05-03-2006, 3:48 PM
Would like to know your general comments/Recos?? LOML and I just purchased/ordered a new Ent wall unit that (it would have taken me a year to build)will hold up to a 54" wide screen. Felt this would be more than ample for most 42" or 50" diag TV's.Now, I'm starting research to buy a TV to fit in there. We have Comcast cable now and it'll be an extra $10/month for high def. I've decided against Plasma (cost/value)and am considering LCD or rear project. Which is best and what are your favorite brands or models?? Also, is the hookup a big deal?? Thanks in advance....

Jim Becker
05-03-2006, 4:05 PM
I'm extremely pleased with my Sharp Aquos system...which is LCD. If you go rear-projection, DLP is the way to go. The only thing going for the old style rear-projection is low cost for big size...the pictures just can't compete with DLP, LCD or plasma.

Hookup is easy--plug and play. BTW, if you want to save money, you can use your Comcast HDef STB as your tuner and just buy a display system using composite or HDMI inputs, especially if you are going to use a surround system for your audio. (And if your surround system has optical inputs for audio, you'll get 5:1 on some of the HiDef channels from Comcast.

Ken Salisbury
05-03-2006, 5:06 PM
Jerry,

I have a 42" Sony Vega LCD. I get HDTV via Direct TV.

I LOVE IT - and it is only 8½" deep.

Tony Falotico
05-03-2006, 5:32 PM
LOML & I got the 50" version of the Sony 3LCD Wega for Christmas...... use satellite TV service and absolutely love it. The Discovery HD channel rocks !!

Consumer Reports rated it highly........
And, call one of the kids home to hook it up !!

Larry Conely
05-03-2006, 7:11 PM
We have a 42" Panasonic plasma mounted on the wall with surround sound speakers built into the wall.We also have digital hi-def from Comcast. The picture is spectacular.

Larry in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI

Bruce Page
05-03-2006, 7:16 PM
IMHO, it's hard to beat the Sony XBR series of LCD's. I still get a giggle each time I turn ours on!

Ken Garlock
05-03-2006, 7:39 PM
IMHO, it's hard to beat the Sony XBR series of LCD's. I still get a giggle each time I turn ours on!

I agree that the Sony XBR series is excellent. I have had the 50" rear projection XBR for 10 years have yet to call for service on it. You pay more, but you also get more, IMO.

Joe Mioux
05-03-2006, 9:43 PM
I have a 32 inch Sony XBR CRT type tv, a Sony 42" LCD reprojection TV and 52" DLP Toshiba as well as a couple of cheaper Tv's

The Sony XBR is not now hooked up. I had to have the Tube replaced a year ago, and then jsut recently some other parts replaced. New the TV cost $1800, repairs cost $1300.

The picture on that TV is excellent. You can see the digitized little boxes with my current Dish receiver.

The sony lcd is very good.

I really like the DLP. It is a fully ready HD tv. I just now need to get a HD Dish receiver.

Jerry, with todays TV's it is hard to criticize any of them.

Joe

P.S. did you say you and your LOYL bought an entertaiment center:confused: :)

Christopher Stahl
05-03-2006, 9:58 PM
I have a Sony 60" KDF-60XS955 rear projection LCD which is pretty fantastic. I use DirecTV HD connected through HDMI. Unfortunately, you can't say which is best. You need to go to a store and compare them side by side and find a picture that you feel is best. Rear projection LCD and DLP both have their strong points, so I wouldn't say either is better than the other.

Since you're going cable, look at getting HDTV with cablecard capabilities. Just a small card you can plug into your TV, preventing the need for a large box.

Bob Rufener
05-03-2006, 10:01 PM
I bought a Sony 42" rear screen projection about 5 years ago. It has worked well for me and the picture is good (not as good as some of the pricey lcd's etc) I get a bit irked because HD is broadcast in the wide screen format rather than the traditional 3-4 ratio. Wide bands at the top and bottom of the screen and sometimes a frame around the whole picture. Kind of shoots the purpose of having a large screen tv but I guess that is what things are going towards. You might consider the 9 x 16??? ratio wide screen format. Lots more stations are broadcasting in HD than even a year ago so I imagine everyone is starting to gear towards HD.

Ken Garlock
05-04-2006, 9:33 AM
Joe, you seem to be up to date on TV issues, so may be you can answer this question. If the FCC has demanded that all over the air TV channels be HDTV by a certain date (2008?), then why should the cable/satellite networks charge extra for HD channels. It seems to me that other than the initial investment in studio equipment, there is no added equipment charge to deliver the digital signal to your home, particularly via satellite. Maybe it is a situation like Exxon stating that it will charge as much as it can for gas (per CEO on the Today show.)

Christopher Stahl
05-04-2006, 9:43 AM
Ken,
I can give you a quick answer. The FCC has not demanded all signals be High Definition by 2008, the push was to have all signals digital by 2008. Well, it was for 2007, but pushed back to 2008. Digital signal does not mean High Definition. I wish it did. :)

chris

Jim Becker
05-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Chris is correct. The FCC mandate, delayed as it may be, was for all-digital, over-the-air broadcast. High definition is a whole different ball-game, but the major networks (and affiliates) are already doing this for some portion of their programming, and not just in prime time. ABC, for example, broadcasts Good Morning America in High Definition.

Ken Garlock
05-04-2006, 1:12 PM
OK, so digital TV is not the same as HDTV, but HDTV must be digital. It seems to me that those standard broadcast channels that go digital are doing it in HD.

I still have the same question as before, if I can get HDTV digital signals 'over the air' locally, why is there a need to charge extra on the satellite and cable systems?:confused: The obvious answer is the Exxon answer: greed.:(

Jerry Olexa
05-04-2006, 1:25 PM
Wow!! Good responses and good info..Sounds like most of the HDTVs are good but should be seen to be evaluated. I'm still a little confused between LCD and DLP. LCD to me is like a big laptop screen but I don't understand the diff compared to a DLP. Size is not a big issue to us (esp Depth) as it will be "housed" in an ent unit so I will probably avoid Plasma. (yes Joe, we did BUY a ent unit. :D Time was the factor. I'm involved in other projects and reluctantly thought this was best route:) ) Lots of good tips. Last month's Consumer reports featured a big article on HDTVs and using this for guidance also. Next weeks, when my knee heals, plan to hit the stores. Our wall unit ships next Friday. Thanks Guys. You're helping this uninformed buyer to be..:D :)

Ken Garlock
05-04-2006, 1:54 PM
Jerry, take a look at the Texas Instruments DLP (http://www.dlp.com/dlp_technology/dlp_technology_overview.asp)website for a quick non-technical explanation of what DLP is. What you will find is that it is all done with mirrors, very, very small mirros.:eek:

Jim Becker
05-04-2006, 2:29 PM
Jerry, LCD and Plasma are not all that different in physical thickness. Plasma is usually "heavier" and while they often have better "pure black" than LCD, they have other attributes that are less pleasing, such as a lot more weight and the potential for "image burn". LCDs were a little ghosty early on with fast action, but that's really no longer an issue. "Blacks" are also much better with the current crop. DLP is a rear-projection unit, but much thinner than the old style rear projection TVs and with much better pictures. They offer a lot of bang for the buck, especially in the larger sizes.
-----
Ken, yes, by definition, High Definition is digital. Broadcasters going digital are providing both SD and HD simultaneously; the latter requires an HD tuner, either internal or external to the TV.

Jerry Olexa
05-04-2006, 6:13 PM
Thanks Jim and Ken: Good info. You're helping me to not appear dumb when I visit the retail stores next week. As always, there are knowledgable, experienced folks on the forum willing to share their wisdom as you guys just did...Thanks. I'm looking fwd to actually seeing the image comparisons. Its interesting: when I buy a digital camera, I spend hours and hours on the internet researching the forums and the best options. And the price point is usually under $1000. The TV will be over $2K I think and I've read Cons. Reports and your comments (no internet research) and I'm ready to invest. Oh well.
Your help is appreciation, The HDTV dunce.

Bruce Page
05-04-2006, 6:36 PM
Jerry, another good source for information that I use whenever I’m looking at just about anything electronic, is CNET, http://www.cnet.com (http://www.cnet.com)
You can find technical data, prices, and unbiased reviews on everything from cameras to televisions.

Joe Mioux
05-04-2006, 8:51 PM
OK, so digital TV is not the same as HDTV, but HDTV must be digital. It seems to me that those standard broadcast channels that go digital are doing it in HD.

I still have the same question as before, if I can get HDTV digital signals 'over the air' locally, why is there a need to charge extra on the satellite and cable systems?:confused: The obvious answer is the Exxon answer: greed.:(

Ken: This is just pure speculation on my part, but I think the Sat co.s do it because it is a new novelty. supply and demand, ...the cost of color tv v B&W tv in the 50's call it what you will.

If there is a demand for something or if something is new or revolutionary, someone will charge for it.

Jerry, the LCD rear projection TV is great. It is our everyday tv in the family room. The DLP is brighter, sharper, etc. It is our tv in the basement for home theater, I like it really it. ON this tv my current set up is a Dennon 5 channel receiver, Polk Audio speakers and a Velodyne 12 inch subwoofer.

The kids like it.:)

joe

Dave Fifield
05-05-2006, 4:29 AM
Jerry,

You might like to invest in a copy of HDTV magazine and/or check out their website here (http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/index.php). They go into more depth with their reviews than any other magazine or website that I have found on the subject to date.

If you are a Costco member, you should check out their offerings. They have some awesome prices on most good brands these days - MUCH cheaper than anywhere else I have seen recently. I'm going to swoop for a new HDTV soon myself - I may wait a while and get one of the new generation models that have high-res PC monitor support built-in....we'll see.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Dave Fifield

Jerry Olexa
05-05-2006, 1:26 PM
We ordered the TV wall unit (shipping next Friday) and it has an opening for TV of 54"wide X about 19" deep w adjustable shelf above. So size (mostly Depth) to accept the HDTV is not really an issue. Sounds like many of you like the LCDs but in this case, It looks like best bang for buck might be rear project either LCD or DLP.
Haven't set foot in a store but this is my thinking now. Am I the right track or what do you think?? Next week, I go, holster in hand to do battle w the retailers. BTW, anyone have exp w SAMS (LOML tells me they have many sets)?or ABT in Chicago? THanks, Jerry

Jerry Olexa
05-05-2006, 5:41 PM
I cheated today and got into a TV retailer early. Saw many HDTVs. Looks like the Sony won't work for me as they have the extensions on each side with add a lot to Horiz span. Saw several Sanyo offerings but was amazed @ seeing the difference in a 1080p equipped set . The regulat HD images are very good. The 1080s are IMHO brighter, crisper and better defined. Significant comparison.. I had planned to get a set w 1080p capacity but didn't realize the dramatic improvement in image quality. The S/M agreed but said most of the newer sets will have this 1080 built in but you won't be able to receive those signals for at least 2 more years. (sigh)To me, all part of my learning process!! Enough of my rambling...I'll let you know the decision. Thanks...Unless any of you have insight on the 1080P prognosis.

Gregg Mason
05-07-2006, 3:13 AM
Jerry,

Dont forget to take a look at the TV when it is receiving a standard signal as well. There is still an awfull lot of programming that it not broadcast in HD, so you'll want to make sure your also happy with the picture when received in standard def. Most wide screen sets offer several stretch modes, so the standard picture will fill the wide screen, and some are much better than others. When your at a retailer, ask them to see the set with a standard signal too. Most retailers will be showing an HD signal, which looks really impressive, but will only be a small part of your every day viewing.

Jim Becker
05-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Gregg makes a good point. The "SuperStretch" setting on my Aquos system is very good with translating 4:3 material to 16:9; the settings on the units in one of my labs really don't work very well.

Jerry Olexa
05-07-2006, 7:59 PM
Thanks Gregg and Jim, another good point. I know they generally pipe in a precorded "perfect HD" pic in the stores which is not representative of the real world (an actual TVsignal). I'll watch for it altho the stretch aspect is also new waters for me..Hope I have trustworthy sales people...:) Good advice

Jim Becker
05-07-2006, 9:00 PM
Jerry, the reason the "intelligent" stretch is important is that without it, a "standard" (SD) 4:3 ratio picture will have a lot of very fat people moving around in it--it's actually quite hard to watch! A lot of the early plasmas were like that. Given that true HD content is not the majority of what you'll find in broadcast, and even a lot of stuff on DVD is not in widescreen, depending on the genre and age, you want to be sure that your viewing on your new 16:9 aspect ratio screen is enjoyable no matter what you choose to watch.

John Weber
05-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Jerry,

We have a Samsung 50" DLP, and it is an excellent value. Picture is super, it's thinner depth, and lighter then a CRT rear projection. No negatives at all.

As for resolution, right now most DVDs are at 480, so until a new standard is finalized you won't see many hi-res movies. We have a handful of HD channels, and they look good, but network TV is "network TV". Sports is where HD shines for broadcast TV.

We use our HDTV mainly for movies (DVDs) and sporting events, and otherwise watch very little cable on the Samsung. It also can zoom rather then stretch the screen and I like this. You loose a bit off the top and bottom, but the ratio doesn't change so people don't look short and fat.

Lots of good choices.

John

Dave Fifield
05-08-2006, 5:13 AM
Jerry,

Sports is where HD shines for broadcast TV.

John

I have to wholeheartedly agree with you John. Superbowl in HD is really something to behold!

I recently upgraded my main Dish Network receiver (a DVR-942) to a ViP-622 model (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/dishhd/receivers/vip622dvr/index.shtml) so I could get all their new HD channels over satellite. There are now 25 channels of HD if I recall correctly, plus the local stations "off-air". Echostar bought Voom a while back and just recently added a bunch of Voom's HD channels to their lineup via the Voom satellite (so you need either 2 dishes or one of the new DishPro 1000 systems to receive it). Nota bene, Direct TV and cable don't even come close to Dish Network now, IMO, and I can't see where they can find the bandwidth to catch up anytime soon.

I've been glued to the sports on ESPNHD and ESPN2HD at the weekends - I have become a Top Alchohol Dragster fan in the past few weeks - in HD, it's spectacular to watch! :D

Some of the other "new" HD channels are very worthy too - travel and music being my faves.

BTW, Jerry, I got the magazine name/website wrong. The magazine I have been reading and finding useful is called "HDTV etc". Their website is here (http://www.hdtvetc.com/).

Cheers,
Dave F.

Jerry Olexa
05-08-2006, 10:02 AM
[quote=Dave Fifield]BTW, Jerry, I got the magazine name/website wrong. The magazine I have been reading and finding useful is called "HDTV etc". Their website is here (http://www.hdtvetc.com/).

Dave Thanks for the tip. That is an excellent rescource!! I also am lured by the appeal of HDTV Sporting events. I couldn't believe the detail, etc....

Jerry Olexa
05-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Found another source for HDTV evaluations, reviews, gen'l info, etc hdtvpub.com Looks credible to me...Just sharing the wealth:) Thanks again, guys