PDA

View Full Version : How many bowls does it take?

Tom Jones III
05-03-2006, 2:11 PM
I set out to turn a bowl for a mother's day present. The first bowl ended up breaking through the bark while sanding and now has a big hole in it. Eventually I had to turn 4 bowls to get some candidates for a present. I'm thinking either bowl on the right side would be good, do you have an opinion on what would be the best M-day present? I have found that as a relative beginner there is a great benefit to turning 4 bowls one right after another. All the lessons from the last bowl were fresh in my head allowing me to make all new mistakes on the next bowl.

These are all mesquite, cut from the same branch off my parents ranch. They are all in the 9"-10" diameter range. The big salad bowl and the smaller bowl (bottom right) are finished with mineral oil and beeswax combination. The hole bowl is BLO topped with wipe on poly. The urn is BLO and beeswax combo. They are all very similar in appearance, but I would have to say that the mineral oil/beeswax combo looks the best. It brings out the depth of the wood a little better and looks a little warmer.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-03-2006, 2:16 PM
I voted for the glue and Macaroni :D

Don't really matter which one you give her, she'll love it!

Ernie Nyvall
05-03-2006, 5:21 PM
Nice work there Tom. I agree with Stu about which bowl.

Ernie

John Hart
05-03-2006, 5:42 PM
I voted.... but really....your dear mother.....Don't you think she deserves the whole set?;) :D :)

Barry Stratton
05-04-2006, 1:27 AM
Tom - they all are really nice. I voted bottom right, but have to agree with Buzz Lightyear....

Rich Stewart
05-04-2006, 8:42 AM
Top left or bottom right get my vote.

Andy Hoyt
05-04-2006, 8:46 AM
It's your mom. She'll thusly like any of them. So give her all of them.

Ed Breen
05-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Tom,
I'm with Andy, give her the entire matched set including the Centerpiece!
Ed