PDA

View Full Version : Sander Jig?

Doug Whitson
05-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm struggling with sharpening lately. I've gotten really, really behind on chisel and turning tools. I've used the scary sharp method and that works ok except for the initial grind. I have a grinder (8") that is just too fast and furious for my taste. I've decided to use my oscilating spindle/belt (rigid) sander for this purpose. I was wodering if anyone has done this and if so, what type of contraption(s) have you come up with? I know there are plenty of skilled people out there that do this by eye, unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I need a jig or holding device and thought I would ask the Mill folks for a hand.
Thanks for your time and trouble.
Doug in AZ.

Jerry Olexa
05-03-2006, 4:02 PM
Doug, not sure I understand your question but..If you've done scary sharp and had success, Lee Valley has a Veritas holding jig for about $40 that IMHO is excellent. Very accurate. Holds a constant angle and allows a quick bevel . Just a thought . HTH

Steve Cox
05-04-2006, 12:21 AM
I found scary sharp to be excellent but a little slow on the initial grind like you. I solved that by purchasing the coarsest DMT Duo-sharp I could find and use that to get an initial edge and then switch to the sandpaper for finer polishing. I also use the older Veritas jig. This system is not as fast as a grinder but it's quicker than sandpaper alone and doesn't have the heat problems associated with usig a grinder.