PDA

View Full Version : Sanding the Inside of Bowls....

Phil Winn
05-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Bowl turning is a blast!.... but since my technique is still lean, my bowls require much sanding...too much sanding! The hi-tech system which I am using involves tearing sand paper sheets into quarters, folding them a few more times, then pushing the sandpaper into the bowl as it spins on the lathe……I was thinking that there must be a better way, so looked at a few catalogs—Rockler, WoodCraft, ParkardWoodWorking, CraftSupply, CuttingEdgeTools, etc, etc, and there so many choices, my head spins!
I have a 3/8 corded drill, a Foredom flex shaft tool (not sure if its largest collet is 1/8” or 1/4"). In the future I would like to turn hollow vases, bowls of all useful sizes, etc., and want to buy a sanding system which will make these surfaces nice and smooth. I guess there is the power tool and/or holder as well as the abrasive – which needs to be frequently replaced; Performance is primary. I would like to purchase the correct tool(s) the first time….which ones do you suggest?
1. Power Lock Abrasive Flex Edges Discs
2. Sorby Velcro Bowl Sanding System
3. New Wave Velcro Sanding Discs
4. Sioux Sanding Drill (which speed Slow or High?)
5. Apprentice Dual Action Air Sander
6. Extend-A-Sand
7. Reach Sanding Ball
8. Inertia Sander
9. Artisan Disc Holders
OR
10. ????????????
11. ?????????
Thank you so much! Please either email , PM, or post.
Thanks again,
Phil

Raymond Overman
05-02-2006, 11:01 PM
My opinion (and you'll find I give it freely and often) is use your 3/8 drill and a 2" sanding pad with hook and loop discs. I get mine from Klingspor but I understand you can cut your own 2" discs from Industrial Abrasives sheets for a whole lot less money. I've never ordered from them but have been meaning to.

I start with 80, 120, 150, 220, 320, 400, 600 with the discs and sometimes follow up with micro mesh if it's required. This seems to give me a smooth finish.

Jim Ketron
05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
I use # 3 and the sand paper from industrial abrasives its called Rhyno Grip Good stuff and it is cheaper in the long run!
#4 slow speed
I like the Pro Velcro Disk Holders from Packard Woodworks.

Bowl turning is a blast!.... but since my technique is still lean, my bowls require much sanding...too much sanding! The hi-tech system which I am using involves tearing sand paper sheets into quarters, folding them a few more times, then pushing the sandpaper into the bowl as it spins on the lathe……I was thinking that there must be a better way, so looked at a few catalogs—Rockler, WoodCraft, ParkardWoodWorking, CraftSupply, CuttingEdgeTools, etc, etc, and there so many choices, my head spins!
I have a 3/8 corded drill, a Foredom flex shaft tool (not sure if its largest collet is 1/8” or 1/4"). In the future I would like to turn hollow vases, bowls of all useful sizes, etc., and want to buy a sanding system which will make these surfaces nice and smooth. I guess there is the power tool and/or holder as well as the abrasive – which needs to be frequently replaced; Performance is primary. I would like to purchase the correct tool(s) the first time….which ones do you suggest?
1. Power Lock Abrasive Flex Edges Discs
2. Sorby Velcro Bowl Sanding System
3. New Wave Velcro Sanding Discs
4. Sioux Sanding Drill (which speed Slow or High?)
5. Apprentice Dual Action Air Sander
6. Extend-A-Sand
7. Reach Sanding Ball
8. Inertia Sander
9. Artisan Disc Holders
OR
10. ????????????
11. ?????????
Thank you so much! Please either email , PM, or post.
Thanks again,
Phil

Jim Becker
05-03-2006, 2:59 PM
I use a Souix angle drill for general sanding of turnings on the lathe. When it gives up the ghost, I'll likely switch to something like the Grex pneumatic angle sander. The Souix (and any other electric solution) really needs to be cleaned out frequently to preserve its lifetime...)

Anthony Yakonick
05-03-2006, 3:21 PM
I use a Souix angle drill for general sanding of turnings on the lathe. When it gives up the ghost, I'll likely switch to something like the Grex pneumatic angle sander. The Souix (and any other electric solution) really needs to be cleaned out frequently to preserve its lifetime...)

Jim, I have the Grex and find that it's great for the finish sanding, but I find that unless I made a fine cut where I can start with 220 (rare;) ) I still need the disk on a drill to take care of the heavier sanding. The Grex d/a will stall when applying too much pressure.

Jim Becker
05-03-2006, 3:57 PM
Jim, I have the Grex and find that it's great for the finish sanding, but I find that unless I made a fine cut where I can start with 220 (rare;) ) I still need the disk on a drill to take care of the heavier sanding. The Grex d/a will stall when applying too much pressure.

Interesting. Although one isn't supposed to apply much pressure when sanding, it tends to happen that way anyway to "speed up" the process. Thanks for the heads-up!

Ernie Nyvall
05-03-2006, 6:41 PM
Phil, I too have the Souix slow speed angle drill, but here's what I found...; for me anyway. It is a real blessing to have, however I found myself relying on it too much as my tool skills were also lacking. Well, they still are, but I decided that I was using too much paper and decided to work more on my tool skills. So now, with a very sharp scraper ( I may touch up the edge every third or fourth pass) I sand a lot less. Also, on end grain that just will not cooperate, I use a suggestion I've read of Jim Beker's, and that is to rub some BLO on it and then hit it with the tool. It works like a champ. I think it was BLO, but Jim can correct this if not. Anyway, Blo does work and it cuts away so it doesn't color the wood.

Ernie

Dennis Peacock
05-03-2006, 6:52 PM
Well....in all honesty?

I primarily use #10 and #11. ;)

Hand sand while on the lathe and spinning, and use a ROS on the outside. If the inside has some really nasty spots in it? Then I break out my 3/8" drill and a velcro 2" pad with disk.

But....most of my sanding is done with standard sandpaper, a ROS, and sometimes....some very warm fingers. :eek: :D

John Hart
05-03-2006, 7:23 PM
I'm like Dennis....mostly hand sanding. I had intended to go the Route of Robert Mickley, with his 2" Velcro setup but I forgot where he got it and I still have nothing.:(

I did build my own 2" velcro padded device but haven't tried it yet. Getting ready for the new house has really made the shop a lonely empty place.:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2006, 7:30 PM
I do mostly hand sanding. If it is nasty I will break out the drill with 2" or 3" velcro sanding pads.

Jim Davenport
05-04-2006, 5:56 AM
I use a 2", or 3" Sorby foam, H&L sander, with a cheap Harbor Freight angle grinder. I run the grinder at about 35PSI.
After watching Bill's video about a million times, I've learned to use my bowl gouge, and scrapers better, the last walnut bowl didn't need near as much sanding as previous stuff:D.
I agree with Ernie, I try to keep a "Burr" on my scrapers. I touch them up several times while finishing.

Bob Hovde
05-04-2006, 1:11 PM
Like Jim, I use a HF side-grinder. I made my own sander pads using the grinder polishing pads - the kind that screw in/out of the holder. I glued a piece of camper's ground pad to it, cut it round and attached the hook side of velcro. I can attach any size velcro-backed sandpaper to it, depending on whether I'm doing the inside or outside. I have several of them set up with different sizes, grades of sandpaper ready.

Bob