PDA

View Full Version : Gloat and a question.

Joe Tonich
08-28-2003, 9:25 PM
Finally found a trailer to replace my pickup truck. :) $350 which my neighbor payed half ( he's selling his truck ) so it only set me back $175. :) It's 5x8 and I added pins to the front so I could store the ramp in front when I go for lumber. Went to the sawyer Joe Ott posted about and bought 47bf #1 common and 67bf select red oak, cut a HEAVY 4/4 for $173. Gave him $180 and received a 1x8x8' cherry board as change. :D

Now the question. :confused: Has anyone used quarter sawn Sycamore? What is it like? He said reg flat sawn is sort of bland but QS looks really good. It was buried waiting to go in the kiln so I couldn't get a look at it. :(

I would definitely recommend Gordon to anyone who wants quality lumber ( straightest R.S. boards I've seen in a while, consistant thickness also) and is within driving distance to Homerville, Oh.

Joe

Jim Becker
08-28-2003, 9:43 PM
It is my understanding that QS sycamore is more desireable, not just for the rays in the grain pattern, but because it's more stable. I haven't used it yet personally, but it's on my list for the door panels on a black walnut buffet that I need to build for our dining room. I've seen some pieces at the Philadelphia Furniture and Furnishings Show with that combination and I really liked the look.

Bob Lasley
08-28-2003, 10:29 PM
Joe,

Nice looking trailer. I'd say you got a bargain. Looks like you have a similar problem to what I have right now, more lumber than you have room to store it. I have most of mine stored under and on the tent trailer in the small stall of the garage which is not a problem other than my wife wants to go camping next month. :eek:

QS sycamore is beautiful stuff. Reminds me of lacewood, but not near as expensive. Some of the best sycamore comes from right here in eastern Oklahoma.

Bob

Ray Thompson
08-28-2003, 11:30 PM
Hi Joe,

I've used qs sycamore and like it. It works pretty good and everyone who has seen it likes the look. The stuff I have made is only a couple of years old but seems to be stable so far.

Ray

Scott Neblung
08-29-2003, 9:46 PM
Joe,

If I hear of any sycamore trees going down....storm, cleared area, whatever...I will be on it like a bug in a rug.

Seriously, if I knew how to post a pic here I would. Pretty wood it is.

Believe this (as Jim started)...it is highly desired as QS wood and has a wilder flecking than the oaks.

IT IS A BEaUTY OF A WOOD !!!

Scott....never worked syc, but sure want to.

Joe Tonich
08-30-2003, 8:02 AM
COOL! :D I'm gonna give him a call to let me know when it is out of the kiln. I have to get some of this. Think it would make a good computer desk for my boys?

Joe

Jeff Rich
09-01-2003, 4:18 PM
I have used QS Sycamore for this project that called for lacewood.
I just happen to be shopping at a little place in Indy when I came across it....looked a lot like lacewood at a fraction of the cost.
Here is a pic of the potpourrii box. The pic is not that great of quality though......