PDA

View Full Version : Backlit material

Alan Young
05-02-2006, 5:37 PM
Any body know a good material to create backlit signs or small displays. I am thinking single color for gauges or dashboards.

Alan

Pete Simmons
05-02-2006, 5:49 PM
Take a look at

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34059&highlight=f-111

I spray one side black and the other white.

Raster the black and back light. Looks great.

Joe Pelonio
05-02-2006, 6:33 PM
Alan,

I just did some idiot light strips for an old mercedes that runs on old vegetable oil. He needed a colored background so I used .03 polycarbonate, with several colors of transparent theatrical gel making acetate stuck to it with clear double sided tape. Then I rastored thru the
color with the warning lettering and vector cut it to the correct shape.

If you want a totally lit colored background we use a translucent sign vinyl stuck onto clear or translucent white acrylic. If you want to make something really cool use 1/4" acrylic in either the green or red flourescent colors, rastor in reverse on the back side, then light the edge rather than the back. That's done for custom car stereo amps/speakers or consoles.

Rodne Gold
05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Rowmark and others make some great laserable "reverse" laminates , they are thin enough to use for gauges and the solid colours are 100% opaque thus only the legend will be lit if engraved thru this , you can paint fill the legend after engraving as well. For dash panels you generally must use a material with a semi-matt or matt face to avoid reflections.

Alan Young
05-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the idea's and advice. Can't wait to try it.

Alan