PDA

View Full Version : Screen Saver

Peter Stahl
05-02-2006, 5:12 PM
Anyone tell me where the screen savers live on my hard drive and how you make one? I'm using Windows XP.

thanks, Pete

Doug Shepard
05-02-2006, 5:23 PM
With the desktop visible, right click on it, then choose the Properties option from the context menu. The screen savers show up on their own tab in the middle of the properties box. Dont know where they're physically located, but a little sleuthing should be able to find them. Once you get a SS running, you could probably do Cntl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager and figure out the module name. Then use Explorer to search for files containing that module name. It may not be in the same location on every users PC anyway.

Joe Tonich
05-02-2006, 6:11 PM
To change your screensaver go to Control panel, Display, then screensaver. You can pick which one ya want. If you have a pic ya want to make a screensaver, hit browse and go to where you put the pic.

Mark Pruitt
05-02-2006, 7:53 PM
Pete,

In XP you have the capability to make your own slideshow screen saver from pictures of your choosing. To do this, you must first group the pictures you want to use into a single folder. Create a folder in My Pictures with the desired name, and move the desired pictures to that folder. Exit My Pictures, and go to the Display Properties window as Doug was saying. In the Screen Saver tab, there is a drop down in which you can select My Pictures Slideshow. Then click Settings, Browse, locate the folder with the desired pictures and click it. Click OK, and OK again. You will notice that you have the ability to dictate the duration with which each picture stays in view, and the size of the picture.

Peter Stahl
05-03-2006, 11:35 AM
With the desktop visible, right click on it, then choose the Properties option from the context menu. The screen savers show up on their own tab in the middle of the properties box. Dont know where they're physically located, but a little sleuthing should be able to find them. Once you get a SS running, you could probably do Cntl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager and figure out the module name. Then use Explorer to search for files containing that module name. It may not be in the same location on every users PC anyway.

Doug,

Tried what you suggested but the SS shutdown as soon as you hit a key. Thanks for the reply.

Peter Stahl
05-03-2006, 11:36 AM
To change your screensaver go to Control panel, Display, then screensaver. You can pick which one ya want. If you have a pic ya want to make a screensaver, hit browse and go to where you put the pic.

Joe,

That's not a sreen saver that the background picture. What I wanted to know is for the screen saver that comes on after your PC sits for a given time. Thanks for the reply.

Pete

Peter Stahl
05-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Pete,

In XP you have the capability to make your own slideshow screen saver from pictures of your choosing. To do this, you must first group the pictures you want to use into a single folder. Create a folder in My Pictures with the desired name, and move the desired pictures to that folder. Exit My Pictures, and go to the Display Properties window as Doug was saying. In the Screen Saver tab, there is a drop down in which you can select My Pictures Slideshow. Then click Settings, Browse, locate the folder with the desired pictures and click it. Click OK, and OK again. You will notice that you have the ability to dictate the duration with which each picture stays in view, and the size of the picture.

Mark,

I've made this type of slide show but this isn't what I was looking for. Thanks for you reply.

Pete