PDA

View Full Version : Turning a Natural Edge winged Bowl!

Jim Ketron
05-02-2006, 4:57 PM
I have seen in a lot of posts asking for how to pictures for turning bowls and such. So I decided to make a video of how I make my natural edge bowls. This in no way a professional video but you can see how I make them and I have a few tips along the way. This will be part one (roughing) there might be a part 2 (Finish turning) coming soon!
<O:p</O:p
There are 11 clips in all and it takes my DSL service around 5 min load time for each clip
I have them on 11 diff pages so they will not try to load all at one time, Each clip has about 3 min of run time.
I was trying to find a site to make it into a movie but finding a free site that would allow a huge file like that was hard to find and it would take way to long to load.
You can find the clips on my pages on the Flying Curls site.(look in my profile to find the web address)
Hope you all like it!
Jim

Mark Cothren
05-02-2006, 6:00 PM
FYI - it takes my cable connection less than 3 minutes to load 'em up.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2006, 6:18 PM
Took 3 1/2 minutes with my DSL. Looks pretty good and am definately interested in doing a NE bowl. Thanks Jim.

John Hart
05-02-2006, 7:02 PM
That was just TOO COOL!! I really enjoyed it Jim (Jimmy?);)
'Specially the part about "no bleeding knuckles":D

I'm very impressed with your confidence by the way. I still sneak up on stuff like that....sorta like it wants to kill me.:)

Thanks Jim!

Andy Hoyt
05-02-2006, 8:18 PM
Ahhhh, I dunno.

It might be the settings my browser's set to; but the color of that lathe is all wrong!:D

Pete Jordan
05-02-2006, 8:24 PM
Jim,

That was great! I really enjoyed it and look forward to the finishing!
My 5 year old saw the mustard and the Trend and asked if it was me. I said I have a long way to go before I would try that.
Thanx!

Mark Cothren
05-02-2006, 8:26 PM
Hey Andy... use this to adjust your color correctly...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/mustard.jpg

Jim Dunn
05-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Not only was the color of that lathe all wrong but the screen just kept jumping around. Must have been the "light" lathe, ya think:)

In all seriousness I thought the tutorial was outstanding! Bravo!

I do have a question about this model of lathe. The on/off button requires that you reach around the spinning edges of the bowl to operate it. Could you have moved it to the tail stock end? Is it safer on that end? Just wondering.

Jim Ketron
05-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks all!;)
The On/off is on the head stock Jim
I do have a Remote switch for it that was an extra. just have not installed it yet:o
Maybe on Part 2 if I decide to film it and put it on the web, I will have it on there!

Jim Dunn
05-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Who was holding the camera? You need to give credit for such fine camera work. I second that the remote switch should be on the "right" side of the lathe.

Jim Ketron
05-02-2006, 11:13 PM
The remote switch has a magnet on it you can put it anywhere the 8' cord (I think) will reach

Keith Burns
05-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Jim, I didn't get to watch all of it but what I saw was excellent ! Having seen Jim turn in person, I can assure all you won't find a "safer" turner anywhere. When can we expect the DVD to become available:) :D

Pete Jordan
05-03-2006, 10:44 AM
I'll buy the DVD!

Keith Burns
05-03-2006, 11:31 AM
I'll buy the DVD!

Me too, Pete:)

Jim Ketron
05-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks Guys!
It might not show in the video but it took a lot of time filming, editing the clips for this little production! Also trying to find a place to host it so everyone could view it. I done this to help people see how it was done and maybe someone else would want to try making one. I try to help people out with turning questions in posts and PM’s when ever I can, I though this might be a good way to help by watching it being turned, not just with pictures and written words.
I was using this winged bowl clip post also as a test, to see how helpful it was and get some feedback on whether or not to continue with part 2 finishing of it and maybe a few more different help clips on bowls and hollow forms.
As of now I’m undecided on whether to continue with part 2 or any other clips.
Thanks,
Jim Ketron

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Jim thank you so much for the clips. I have watched them twice now. I really would like to turn a HF but probably not with wings. I do appreciate your help. I may have some questions when I get ready.

Jim Dunn
05-04-2006, 6:23 AM
As of now I’m undecided on whether to continue with part 2 or any other clips.

Jim, I for one would love to see part 2. I think is was both both very helpful and, most importantly, very nice of you to share your knowledge and skill. I really appreciated it.

Jim

Andy Hoyt
05-04-2006, 7:50 AM
Hey Jim - I'm really looking foward to the day I can watch the finish turning session.

I acknowledge that its hard enough to concentrate on turning the form when you're all alone in the shop; but with the potential for many many eyes bearing down on you through a camera, the distraction must be intense.

What you've done with the first eleven clips is extremely cool; and I got a kick out of seeing a friend doing his thing over the internet, but more importantly it helped me on technique. For instance; I was surprised to see how slowly you moved the gouge out on the wings since I usually just whip 'er along in an effort to get it over with. Patience! I'll have to try that.

I also understand the amount of work required to get the raw byteage (can't call it footage, can we?) from your camera to my monitor. You've done well and should be justifiably proud.

Speaking for the crew here - know that we're proud of you, too.

Ernie Kuhn
05-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Jim,
Watched all the clips. Excellent Job, will watch for Part 2
Ernie

John Miliunas
05-04-2006, 11:59 AM
OK Jim, I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger here lately, so I haven't been able to watch all the clips....yet!!! :rolleyes: However, after getting through the first 3, I can hardly wait to check out the rest! This beat PBS any day of the week!!! :D Great job and I concur with the others that, I too am looking very much forward to the next "installment"!!! :) Many, many thanks for your hard work on this, as it's greatly appreciated by all! Carry on, my friend! :) :cool:

Ed Breen
05-04-2006, 4:27 PM
Hey Jim,
For some dumb reason I can get to the page with the clips on it but can't seem to open them no matter how I click or clack. I'll have to wait 'til you put in into a video and buy the first and second parts. So Pleeease consider a video.
Ed:confused:

Jim Ketron
05-04-2006, 5:44 PM
Thanks All!
Ed it requires you to have Quick Time to view it. you should see a pop up asking (Click to run Active X control on this web page) Click (OK) and it will load up by itself. I don't know about dial up service but DSL takes under 5 Min per clip. Just give it some time and it should show up for you.
Jim