PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Southern California May 13 to May 30

Al Navas
05-02-2006, 3:09 PM
I will be helping with medical care for my elderly Mother, who will undergo hip replacement surgery on May 17. She is in Altadena, where I will be staying.

I know that I won't have time for a class with Sam Maloof or anything even remotely linked to serious woodworking, but I am hoping to be able to get away for a short shop visit with some Creeker(s) :) . If a visit is not in the cards, I would like to hear some suggestions for woodworking-related activities or places to visit within a reasonable radius from Altadena.

I look forward to hearing from some of you, and then will also look forward to making the connection. I think I must remain flexible on dates, times, etc., since I will be a close-to-full-time caregiver for several days running. I will have a rental car for the duration.

Please let me know if a visit might be in the cards. Thank-you!

Al

Vaughn McMillan
05-03-2006, 2:05 PM
Al, Altadena is pretty close to my area, but offhand I don't have any suggestions for woodworking-related things in the area. Hopefully some of the other LA Creekers have better ideas than I do. (Not hard to do...)

My schedule is looking pretty haywire for the rest of May, but I'll keep my eyes open for a chance to meet up. Maybe an LA CreekerPalooza is in the cards?

- Vaughn

Al Navas
05-03-2006, 4:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Vaughn. I will have access to a computer while in the area, so I will be able to track any additional last-minute suggestions.

I look forward to meeting some of you at an LA CreekerPalooza. Who'd have thought about it :cool: ?

Al

Don Baer
05-03-2006, 7:00 PM
Al,
I'll be in Chicago that week for a trade show so I guess I'll miss the creekerpaloza. One thing you might consider is a visit to the Maloof compound. It's about an hours drive from where you'll be and you can tour the Old house and see much of Sams work. You might even run into Sam while your there. He's very approachable. The tours are on Thursdays and Saturdays and you can get info at the maloof web site www.malooffoundation.org (http://www.malooffoundation.org).

Al Navas
05-03-2006, 8:18 PM
Thanks, Don. I go right by the exit to Sam Maloof's place on the way to Altadena from Ontario airport on I-210. I will definitely keep this in mind, and go as the schedule permits. I have printed the directions and tour schedule page.

I am sorry I will miss you - have a great trip to Chicago.

Al

John Poole
05-04-2006, 12:15 AM
As a woodworker, you must make a pilgrimage to the Gamble House in Pasadena

http://www.gamblehouse.org/

Also, the Huntington Library(Virginia Scott Steele Gallery) -- they have a small permanent exhibit of works of Greene & Greene and a recreation of the Robinson House dining room (with the original chandelier whose provenance raises some very interesting issues)

http://www.huntington.org/ArtDiv/ScottGallery.html

Both are within 10 minutes of Altadena.

Al Navas
05-04-2006, 6:30 AM
Thanks, John! This looks pretty interesting too, and have added it my list.

Welcome to the Forum! I know you will enjoy it.

Al