PDA

View Full Version : update - carpel tunnel syndrome

Mark Pruitt
05-02-2006, 1:58 PM
Been to the ortho surgeon today and thought I would share what he said, as it addresses some of the questions raised last week in THIS (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35456) thread.

In the most basic of terms, the carpel tunnel is formed by a ligament that stretches over the top portion of the wrist. Some repeated activities by some persons cause the nerves that pass through that tunnel to be partially cut off. In other words, the tunnel simply isn't big enough anymore. Somewhat analogous to a city's highway infrastructure trying to keep up with population growth--a nerous traffic jam if you will. (My analogy not the surgeon's.) The solution is the same--enlarge the passageway. The tendon is cut and the hand (more accurately the wrist) immobilized while the cut heals and the tendon forms a new "bridge". I believe it is during that healing period where a lot of people sabotage the effectiveness of the procedure by becoming impatient. I do NOT look forward to that, as I generally have about as much patience as a bull on steroids has finese.

The doctor told me that he advises no heavy activity for a whole month. When I told him I am very much into woodworking in my spare time, he said that I should expect to be out of my shop for a whole month.:eek: So at some point, Scott Spencer and I may need to commiserate while he's out of commission as well!:(

If there's any good news in all of this, it's in the fact that my CTS has not advanced to the point of requiring surgery right away, but it will likely be done within the next two months. To be sure, CTS is not something to be taken lightly. It has the capability of advancing to the point of atrophy in the muscle between the wrist and thumb, resulting in permanent damage of one's ability to grip such things as mallets, chisels, power tools, boards.....you get the picture. I ain't messing with this stuff. It's the only right hand I have.

Joe Tonich
05-02-2006, 3:12 PM
Good luck. :D It really isn't all that bad....You won't be doing any heavy lifting, but after a few weeks you can do light woodworking. At least that was my experience. Just don't till after the cut heals...... ;)

Rick Doyle
05-02-2006, 6:14 PM
hi mark,

good advice from your doctor - same as i got from my doctor only i didn't listen to him. i sat around for about 3 or 4 days until my wrist didn't hurt from the surgery anymore and went out in the yard to help build a pond waterfall out of 'blast rock'. pretty dumb! my cps symptons came right back and after about 6-8 months they are now just about gone.

so, if you do have the surgery, just take it easy for a month as your doc suggests.

Norman Hitt
05-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Mark, I can understand your Frustration, as I'm in the same boat, except Both of mine are in need of the surgery. I've been trying to get a few things finished up first though, and then............I've got to make a decision on which one to do first. I've been putting it off far too long as it is, but I may have to wait til the LOML gets her knee, or knees (they haven't decided if they are going to do one or both) repaired this summer.

Good luck with the surgery and I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.