PDA

View Full Version : Turning Douglas Fir

Don Abele
05-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Has anyone ever turned douglas fir? Specifically, used it for pens? I have a box of cut-offs that are just about the right size for pen blanks and wanted to know if it's worth it. I had someone chuck a piece up and turn it, seems to cut pretty smooth.

Just curious...

Be well,

Doc

Joe Melton
05-02-2006, 12:59 PM
I've cut quite a bit of fir, but old straight-grain only. The modern stuff that you find in 2x4s would be very uninteresting. The fir I use was from flooring in an old house, and the trees that provided the wood were, according to a floor finisher, at least 200 years old when they were felled. This wood has a lot of orange in it.
If you want to have some fun, crosscut the fir.
Joe

John Hart
05-02-2006, 2:56 PM
Nope...never have. But I wonder if it might be too soft for pens.:confused:

Andy Hoyt
05-02-2006, 3:55 PM
CVG Old Growth works well. Any thing else - fuhgeddabowdit

Joe Melton
05-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Here is a scan of three doug fir pens. Not a good picture, but you get the idea. The wood has great chatoyance, but it doesn't show here.
Joe

Don Abele
05-03-2006, 6:35 PM
Joe, those are pretty pens, but the pieces I have don't have the same grain orientation and you wouldn't get that awesome stripping. These are not really old growth, but probably well over 100 years old. The one that I had them turn looked pretty plain.

So I think I'll leave these and look for more "scraps" that would make better pen blanks.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Be well,

Doc