PDA

View Full Version : Lumber and Sheet goods rack

Ed Lang
05-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Here is your chance to add to my shop!

Tonight (so time is short) I will start building a sheet goods and lumber rack. Here is what I am thinking.

8' tall. 2X4" construction. 12.5" between the top of the bottom rack to the bottom of the next rack. I will store 8' long lumber and 4'X8' sheets on this rack. Material will be stored horizontal to make it easy to pull a sheet out and put on a cart so it can be moved to other machines. Each bay or shelf can hold either sheet goods or lumber. This will be free standing and not tied to a wall.

So what are your ideas?

tod evans
05-02-2006, 12:29 PM
ed, here`s one i use, it`s built out of 8 layers of baltic birch 5" wide with the joints staggered glued-n-screwed. shaped like an "E" , right now there`s probably 200bf on the top leg and i`ve had as much as 1500ft on the whole rack with no sign of deflection, it`s not mounted to the wall and no back either just the weight of the lumber stabilizes it...02 tod

Ed Lang
05-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Tod,
That looks great but I need to store sheets of MDF and ply on mine as well as lumber. Mine will not be connected to the wall or have a wall to lean on either.

I'll keep yours in mind for when I can use it. Thanks.

tod evans
05-02-2006, 1:23 PM
ed, i posted a pic so you could see the construction technique, with minor modifications this design could be addapted for sheetgoods if it suits you. structually it has proven sound...02 tod

Charlie Plesums
05-02-2006, 2:29 PM
Tod,
That looks great but I need to store sheets of MDF and ply on mine as well as lumber. Mine will not be connected to the wall or have a wall to lean on either.

I'll keep yours in mind for when I can use it. Thanks.
I store the sheet goods vertically in my shop, but like your idea of horizontal better. I would love to have something like Tod built for the lumber horizontally over the sheet goods (and over the other stuff that is along that wall). Luber stored vertically develops a warp, and always includes at least one piece that is too tall for the ceiling.

I suggest that you start with Tod's design, but make the lower shelf about 4 1/2 feet (to keep the sheet goods off the floor), and then have 2-3 horizontal "shelves" above the sheet goods.

Ed Lang
05-02-2006, 2:36 PM
Tod,
I can see how that E design could be used by pointing the E's at each other. That just never "clicked" with my thinking. I like that!