PDA

View Full Version : craftsman lathe

byron constantine
05-02-2006, 10:24 AM
I am looking at a craftsman 15" v/s lathe and was wondering if anyone
on the forum is familiar with this lathe? I believe it is made by a company called Palmgren which has been in the metal lathe business for years.
Thanks, Byron

Garry Smith
05-02-2006, 2:31 PM
I just bought one about 2 weeks ago. It runs smooth and seems to have good power, although I have yet to turn any large blanks.
The bed castings do not look as nice as I would have liked to see but for the price, I cannot complain too much. The optional bowl rest mount is not as stout as I would like either.

Tony Sizemore
05-02-2006, 5:00 PM
Hey guys give us some more spic’s on the lathe. I looked online but they didn’t very much.
Also tell us a little more about the optional tools rest. Does it look like it would hold up?

John Hart
05-02-2006, 5:32 PM
I have a Craftsman 15" VS, but I don't know who made it. I know it's not the same one that Garry has though. Mine has been very good to me. I snapped a toolrest on a giant log, but that was my fault. I'm satisfied.:)

byron constantine
05-02-2006, 9:54 PM
I have a Craftsman 15" VS, but I don't know who made it. I know it's not the same one that Garry has though. Mine has been very good to me. I snapped a toolrest on a giant log, but that was my fault. I'm satisfied.:)

John, I just came from looking at this lathe and when i turned it on it was
real noisy. Sounded like the bearings, is this normal as this lathe nearly new? Also i didn't like the way the tail stock locks down as it didn't line
up with the head spindle unless you did it by hand. The seller wants $400
for the lathe,stand,a set of craftsman chisels,a 3 jaw craftsman chuck,
a 8" face plate,a 4" plate and 3 or 4 live centers. He also is throughing
in 4 Scorby swan neck hollowing tools. Is a good deal?
Byron

Daniel Heine
05-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Hello,

I just bought the Palmgren 15 inch variable speed lathe. It is the same product as the Craftsman. I agree the finish on the bed is not a smooth and shiny as some of the $2000.00 lathes, but it does not seem to affect the performance, and it's $1500.00 cheaper. I am very happy with this lathe. I bought a dry blank at Rockler, 10 inch diamater, 5 inches thick. I sttached it to the faceplate, started up the lathe at 400 rpm, and it was smooth as silk. I have also turned a few practice spindles, and even two pens, and I could not be happier. This is a lot of lathe for $480.00. Look around and compare this to the Jet 14" or 16", and I think it is real easy to see the value, especially when you account for the variable speed.

Relating to the noise you heard on the older Craftsman, there was a problem with the way the pulley teeth lining up properly. Contact Palmgren, and order service kit 09-351-(23572.00), and new belt, and the problem is resolved.

Happy Turning,
Dan Heine</O:p

Steve Hayes
05-03-2006, 1:50 PM
Byron it sounds like you made a trip to Lewisville.

byron constantine
05-03-2006, 2:11 PM
Byron it sounds like you made a trip to Lewisville. Steve, Have you seen this lathe as i didn't mention where i saw it?
Byron

John Hart
05-03-2006, 2:28 PM
John, I just came from looking at this lathe and when i turned it on it was
real noisy. Sounded like the bearings, is this normal as this lathe nearly new? Also i didn't like the way the tail stock locks down as it didn't line
up with the head spindle unless you did it by hand. The seller wants $400
for the lathe,stand,a set of craftsman chisels,a 3 jaw craftsman chuck,
a 8" face plate,a 4" plate and 3 or 4 live centers. He also is throughing
in 4 Scorby swan neck hollowing tools. Is a good deal?
Byron

Yup...Byron. My Lathe has been noisy from day one. I don't want to lend you any information until I know we're talking about the same piece of equipment though.

Is this it?

Lars Thomas
05-03-2006, 3:21 PM
John, that's the one I got too. I can certainly vouch for it being noisy. Ear protection required.

Tony Sizemore
05-03-2006, 3:27 PM
So what size head stock does that have?
Is really that noisy, so loud that you need hearing protection?
It looks good from over here, but a lot of thing look goood from over here.

Steve Hayes
05-03-2006, 3:31 PM
I saw one on a site initials CL that was exactly your description. I live in Lewisville and was wanting to stop by and see it. I was concerned about the quality. I have a HF 34706 I think thats the model number, it's the 1236 clone, and I want to upgrade. Really want a 1442 but can't find one used.

John Hart
05-03-2006, 3:43 PM
So what size head stock does that have?
Is really that noisy, so loud that you need hearing protection?
It looks good from over here, but a lot of thing look goood from over here.

Yeah...I don't wear ear protection, but it's noisy. The thing is...I've never been able to identify what the noise is. It's a direct drive, so the motor Armature is the headstock spindle, so there's no belt or anything. But it has been that way since the day I bought it. I sorta don't notice the noise anymore.

As far as it being a good deal? Well, I'm still satisfied. I've not noticed that the tail stock doesn't line up...so I can't speak to that. $400 with all those tools and accessories sure seems nice. Sounds like $300 worth of Sorbys alone. As far as power, it seems to handle everything I've thrown at it so far.

Tony Sizemore
05-03-2006, 4:41 PM
Ok Steve you the man I need to talk to. You did what I am thinking of. I have the same HF lathe. It has done a great job for me, but I want to go a little bigger. My dream of a PM or Jet is slowly slipping away just like my time to turn but I still would like something with a little more power and larger swing over bed.
Do you think you did in fact upgrade from the HF? How would you compare them?

Garry Smith
05-04-2006, 7:39 AM
I ran a 10 inch blank of cherry burl last night. This blank is full of voids and cracks and was considerably out of balance. The machine is handling it well.
I did discover another disapppointment. The tailstock barrel has a keyway slot in it to keep the barrel from turning but instead of a key in the tailstock(which I would have thought it would have) the screw that tightens the barrel in the tailstock also serves as the key to keep the barrel from turning. I do not feel this is a good setup and is not likely to last.

Steve Hayes
05-04-2006, 8:40 AM
Tony,

I am still looking for a 1442 at a good price. I do like the HF though. I had a few problems. Wanted a handwheel got one from Jet fit perfect. The only problem is you have to remove it to knock out your spur drive. Upgraded tool rest and replaced the tool rest base with a Delta, big difference there. One problem I am having is the tailstock slipping. It's not slipping bad it's keeping pressure on the piece.

Tony Sizemore
05-04-2006, 4:41 PM
My bad. I thoguth you had a HF and the Craftsman...but thanks.

Brad Hart
05-05-2006, 6:13 AM
Do you think you did in fact upgrade from the HF? How would you compare them?

I bought this lathe from sears about a year after having my HF34706 and within 6 months the craftsman had broke 3 times (which took CS a total of 12 weeks to fix) and finally had the motor give out and after much yelling and screaming at CS, sometimes a temper tantrum does work for a 30 year old, they agreed to refund my money. I went back to using the 34706 and 18 months later spent $300 and some change upgrading the motor to a 1.5 hp reversible VFD drive and making a mount for it. I mounted the motor in original orientation and with its length I get 17" of outboard. I had the motor mounted the otherway for unlimited capacitu but the stand was to too unstable to do anything much bigger than 18" and I was worried about actually breaking the headstick or the mount with that much weight hanging off the back end. This is a good setup for me now, but if I were to upgrade it would be to something in the less expensive that I mount this VFD to such as Griz's new 16" lathe or a motorless nova 3000 for $500 I keep hearing tails about being available. Or alternately building my own bowl lathe based on this drive.

Tony Sizemore
05-05-2006, 8:33 AM
Hey Brad lets see frankenstein. It sound great. That is the kinda stuff I am looking for. Thanks for the input. I just don't want to spend that much on something that wll not do the job. I did read a review on it lastnight that said it had a good amount of power, and was fairly stead but the speed control was hard to use and a few other things.
I have thoguth often about building my own lathe. just don't know.
Thanks again.:rolleyes:

Brad Hart
05-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Hey Brad lets see frankenstein. It sound great. That is the kinda stuff I am looking for. Thanks for the input. I just don't want to spend that much on something that wll not do the job. I did read a review on it lastnight that said it had a good amount of power, and was fairly stead but the speed control was hard to use and a few other things.
I have thoguth often about building my own lathe. just don't know.
Thanks again.:rolleyes:

I will get picks up as soon as I get my new digi cam. the speed control on which was lathe was hard to use?

Tony Sizemore
05-05-2006, 6:36 PM
They said the Craftsman speed control was hard on the hands.

Brad Hart
05-05-2006, 6:41 PM
They said the Craftsman speed control was hard on the hands.

the whole thing was hard on the hands, wrists, elbows shoulders etc, mine had vibrations so bad i hurt after using it.