PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt rebuild progress

Jeff Horton
05-02-2006, 9:48 AM
Didn't get to work on the DeWalt much this weekend. Volunteered to help a sister Church on some construction work this weekend. But I did get in the shop some Sunday afternoon and last night.

I have most of the parts painted. The color is Massey Furgeson gray. Thats a tractor brand for you city boys and girls. :) I really don't like these industrial grays colors but I decided once I started using the saw it wouldn't matter near as much what color it was as it does right now. It's not nearly as dark a gray as the original color but I am not a stickler on that for a fairly common saw like this.

And I didn't want to use the spray gun because I tend to do one piece and spray it and then work on another. It would be to much trouble to set up the gun and then have to clean it over and over. So I just went with the rattle cans and their limited selection of color.

Should start putting it together this week. Still have to disassemble the motor and yoke assembly. But I thought I would put the base and arm back together to give me some more room to work. Looks like lots of pieces in the motor assy.

Jim Becker
05-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Very nice paint job, Jeff. As much as I don't prefer the RAS, if I could grab an old one like this and actually had room for it, I wouldn't mind a restoration like you are doing!

Jeff Horton
05-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks Jim. I think I looked for a close to a year before I found one in my area that I would consider. This one is a one owner and was actually given to me. Largely because he wanted to see his fathers saw running again.

I have two craftsman RAS and neither from the good years of Craftsman. Very anxious to replace them with this beast!

Turned the corner and started assembly tonight. Broke, no messed up a piece too. :o :(

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/DeWaltras/reassemlbe1.jpg

Joe Jensen
05-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Jeff, I have the same saw, but was lucky enough to not have to restore it. The condition of the bearing surfaces on the inside of the arm is critical. How are yours? I have my saw set up as a dedicated 90 degree crosscut station with Biesemeyer Radial Arm Saw tables, 8 feet on either side. (Not sure they make those now that Delta owns them). Great saw, set it at a perfect 90 once 16 years ago and its still perfect today...joe

Jeff Horton
05-03-2006, 1:20 PM
This one appears to be in very good shape. I did notice a little wear in the center of the arm but that's to be expected. I am going to get a piece of drill rod and 'polish' the ways. The have some rust on them but nothing serious. This saw was usable as it was but I couldn't stand the rust and dirt. Had to clean it up.

I expect to use this one a lot. I also hope and expect it to stay true once it is set up. I could be wrong but I expect to be able to switch from 90 to 45 degrees and back with no problems.

I am going to built an 8' and a 4' outfeed table for this one. I have a similar set up on the one I am replacing. So I know I am going to like that. The plan is for the this to be my primary cross cut saw.