PDA

View Full Version : Thanks - kid projects

Tom Jones III
05-02-2006, 8:53 AM
The neighborhood kids are still coming over and thanks to the ideas on this forum I've now got several projects for them. Two of them have also caught the idea that I would like for them to figure out, and they caught it a lot faster than I thought they would. Cody is in the attached picture, he is making a birdhouse to give to a neighbor. This was a double blessing for me as I got to teach him ww'ing and he came up with the idea to give it away all by himself.

I've made the decision that the kids will be entirely neanderthal for now. He made the birdhouse completely by hand (except I helped him drill a hole) and completely on his own. Every measurement, every cut, and all the mistakes are his own. Unfortunately I always forget to take pictures, so this is the only one I got. He was so excited and proud when he finished the birdhouse and he couldn't wait to give it away.

Thanks for all the ideas and all the web sites you guys sent to me.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2006, 8:56 AM
Tom.........that is abosolutely cool! Smart too on your part about using handtools! Reduces the chance of injuries and yet allows the kids to build something under adult supervision! Look at the smile on that kid's face! That says it all!

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2006, 9:26 AM
That is to cool Tom. Great idea having them use hand tools. Nice work Tom.

George Conklin
05-02-2006, 9:42 AM
Why couldn't I have a neighbor guy like you around when I was a kid?

Way to go, Tom. You're a good man:) .

Jeff Sudmeier
05-02-2006, 9:47 AM
Can I go over to Tom's house and play!?!?!? :)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-02-2006, 9:49 AM
Now THAT is a million dollar smile!! Way to go Tom! The only thing I'd like to add is that I'd really like to see him wearing safety glasses. I'll tell you a story. When I was in boy scouts, we did a bunch of that kind of thing, we made bird houses and then sold them at our annual fund raiser/bake sale thing to raise money for tents for the troop etc. One night, one of the Dads was there helping, all of us kids had to have safety glasses on (the old kind real ugly, and the fogged up) well this Dad did not, he was nailing some nails, and one of them got away from him, bounced off the table and the wall and hit him right in the eye. Went to the hospital, and he ended up OK, but boy did that drive home the point of safety glasses. I know you can get kids sized ones. $10 at Lee Valley, I be they are cheaper elsewhere. http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/safety/22r7235s2b.jpg I'm not trying to be a killjoy here, just thinking of the extra lesson about safety you can teach him. Cheers!

Pete Jordan
05-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Tom,

You are a saint! I teach 5th grade and there is nothing better than seeing a smile on a kid who has just finished a project. Once I get better at this turnin thing I plan on getting a mini lathe for the classroom.

Tom Jones III
05-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Good point Stu. I'm a real stickler for safety when using power tools but I didn't think about the need for it with a hammer and nails. I already have glasses and hearing protection stashed at almost every station in the shop so there is no excuse for anyone to be without.

Ernie Nyvall
05-02-2006, 7:47 PM
Great story Tom. Good going.

Ernie