PDA

View Full Version : Walnut HF

Blake McCully
05-02-2006, 8:23 AM
I'm kinda timid putting this up. Can't stand up to Dennis's work, but here goes. This little HF is from walnut burl, it is about 5 1/2" wide, 21/4" high. Finished it with sanding sealer and turp, then buffed with the carnuba wax.

I'm gonna have to get with Mr. Hart and have him give me photographic tips, sigh!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-02-2006, 8:26 AM
Looks great Blake, we all have to start somewhere, I know, I'm still at the bottom looking up :D

BTW, your attached images don't "Click" to a larger size....?

Cheers!

PS if you keep showing yours, I'll keep showing mine, we can cry on each other's shoulders :rolleyes: ;) :D

Glenn Hodges
05-02-2006, 8:29 AM
Blake this looks mighty fine to me. The curves on this piece remind me of the Indian pottery , some say SW style, but I have seen it in museums here in the SE. I wish the size of the photo was a wee bit larger so I could see the grain in the wood. Thanks for showing it to us.

Blake McCully
05-02-2006, 8:41 AM
Blake this looks mighty fine to me. The curves on this piece remind me of the Indian pottery , some say SW style, but I have seen it in museums here in the SE. I wish the size of the photo was a wee bit larger so I could see the grain in the wood. Thanks for showing it to us.
Glenn,
The SW style is what I had in mind. That is my interpretation but I like the style. Yeah, about the not clicking to a larger size, the pics are .GIF. I can't seem to get my .JPGs down to the size that I can upload. I'm using a Sony Cybershot camera and using Paintshop Pro software to modify them. I wish they were larger too, the grain is really nice. I think I'll use Dennis' approach and move it outside to take some pics. I'll upload them later today, I hope.

Thanks for the kind words, just trying to move out of pens and such.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-02-2006, 9:01 AM
Blake, no question that Dennis is good, but I'll bet if you asked him he really enjoys all of us getting better. Maybe that is why he keeps setting the bar as high as he does. There are a number of others here that do the same. I think yours looks great. I wish the picture were bigger to see more detail. Good job!

John Hart
05-02-2006, 9:14 AM
Yup....from what I can see, it's a very pretty piece Blake. I love the form and the wood.:)

On your jpeg pic size, Have you tried to modify it so that it is 120 dpi and 5" wide?.....but then I can't believe that you'd want to take lessons from me! Unless you want to be really bad at it.;) :D

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2006, 9:24 AM
Blake that is a awful pretty piece. I like the form and finish. Great work.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2006, 9:59 AM
Blake..........gorgeous piece! Beautiful form, finish and execution!

Joe Fisher
05-02-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm using a Sony Cybershot camera and using Paintshop Pro software to modify them.
To get them down to size, you can use PS Pro's optimizer.

When viewing your JPG, first size it to what you like (<shift-s>shift+s). I go with 640xwhatever after I've cropped it.

Then go to Save-As (alt+f<alt-f>, a) There's a button in the lower right that says Options, or Advanced (I forget; I'll check when I get home). Then there'll be a new window, with an Optimizer button. Click that.

Now you can adjust the compression up or down until you get the file size you like. I usually shoot for around 30k. You can preview the image to see what effect the compression will have on it so you can pick the best compromise between quality and size.

Hope that helps! There may be a quicker way to get to the Optimizer, but I haven't bothered to find it yet

-Joe</alt-f></shift-s>

Pete Jordan
05-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Blake,
Nice piece!

What did you use to hollow it out with?

Blake McCully
05-02-2006, 1:22 PM
Now you can adjust the compression up or down until you get the file size you like. I usually shoot for around 30k. You can preview the image to see what effect the compression will have on it so you can pick the best compromise between quality and size.

Joe, thanks, it worked pretty good, I've uploaded the pics again, hope they're better this time.

Seems to have worked alright.

Blake McCully
05-02-2006, 1:36 PM
Blake,
Nice piece!

What did you use to hollow it out with?
Pete,
I used the tools I show below. The little one is a hollowing tool I got from Bob Rosand, the other is a tool I got from CSUSA. It really finishes nice. These, and sometimes a 3/8" round nose scraper are all I use. But then, I don't do any BIG hollow vessels or stuff.

Joe Fisher
05-02-2006, 1:55 PM
Nice form, and much better sized pix. Now you've just got to adjust the white balance ;)

PS has a 'One Step Photo Fix' that sometimes gets the job done.

-Joe

Pete Jordan
05-02-2006, 2:00 PM
Pete,
I used the tools I show below. The little one is a hollowing tool I got from Bob Rosand, the other is a tool I got from CSUSA. It really finishes nice. These, and sometimes a 3/8" round nose scraper are all I use. But then, I don't do any BIG hollow vessels or stuff.
Hi Blake,

I could not find CSUSA. What does it stand for?

Pete

John Hart
05-02-2006, 2:05 PM
Hi Blake,

Pete

Geez Pete.. That's easy...It stands for woodturnerscatalog.com

you just have to pick the letters out woodtUrnerSCAtalog.com...add an extra S, then unjumble them. Easy! :D

Keith Burns
05-02-2006, 2:07 PM
Great form and finish Blake:) :) Great job, keep it up:)

Blake McCully
05-02-2006, 2:36 PM
Hi Blake,

Pete
Pete,
John's absolutely correct. CSUSA is actually, Craft Supply, USA. That's because there is also a CSUK, Craft Supply, United Kingdom. Actually I don't know if it REALLY IS CSUK, but anyway it's in England.

But actually, the whole thing doesn't mean anything. That tool didn't come from Craft Supply, I got it from Packard Woodworks. It's called the supercut universal tool. The one I have is the 3/8". Sorry about the misinformation.

Dennis Peacock
05-02-2006, 3:32 PM
Looks real good Blake. Don't be timid about posting your work. You've done really fine and I enjoy seeing your work. :D

Ernie Nyvall
05-02-2006, 8:21 PM
Looks real good to me Blake. Great looking finish.

Ernie