PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Question........?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-02-2006, 6:33 AM
OK, a Buffer, I saw on Bill's DVD a buffer that is just a motor with a fairly long shaft and a buffing wheel on the end.

Found this on auction....

http://img185.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/4/3/9/0/monsanmonsan2000-img600x450-1143531246p1011276.jpg

http://img185.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/4/3/9/0/monsanmonsan2000-img600x450-1143531274p1011282.jpg

Yes, I have three phase (stealth gloat:D)

Not high power, and the speed is fairly slow, would this be good for a buffer?

About $40 right now on auction.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

John Hart
05-02-2006, 6:48 AM
Stu,
I bought a motor at a flea market for $10 and attached my buffing wheel to it. It is a 1750 RPM 1/4 HP single phase. It has worked extremely well for what I do. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but it seems that 700 RPM might be a tad slow.

Dick Parr
05-02-2006, 6:50 AM
Stu that one might be a bit too slow. Beall recommends that you use about 1800 RPM with their wheels for buffing. It does a much better job at that speed.

My .02 cents

Mark Cothren
05-02-2006, 7:42 AM
I agree - too slow...

David Fried
05-02-2006, 7:50 AM
Stu,

I found a wonderful old washing machine motor at the dump I was going to use as a buffer motor. I got as far as putting an adapter for the wheels on and installed a wheel. Turns out the motor spins clockwise and the nut backed off. :eek: Still trying to find a use for that motor.:mad:

Make sure you get a motor that spins counter-clockwise!

John Hart
05-02-2006, 8:09 AM
Stu,

I found a wonderful old washing machine motor at the dump I was going to use as a buffer motor. I got as far as putting an adapter for the wheels on and installed a wheel. Turns out the motor spins clockwise and the nut backed off. :eek: Still trying to find a use for that motor.:mad:

Make sure you get a motor that spins counter-clockwise!

Mine spins clockwise too, but I fitted the shaft with a collar so no threads are involved. Maybe you could give that a try Dave.

05-02-2006, 8:28 AM
Thanks guys, that is why I asked here :D

I want a motor with a fairly long shaft, most of the ones I see here have stubby shafts.

Cheers!

David Fried
05-02-2006, 8:32 AM
Mine spins clockwise too, but I fitted the shaft with a collar so no threads are involved. Maybe you could give that a try Dave.

Sounds like an idea! Currrently I'm using the threaded adapter I bought in the chuck on the lathe and spinning the wheel with the lathe. Using the motor would be nice. Where did you find the collared shaft?

John Hart
05-02-2006, 8:52 AM
Sounds like an idea! Currrently I'm using the threaded adapter I bought in the chuck on the lathe and spinning the wheel with the lathe. Using the motor would be nice. Where did you find the collared shaft?

ummm....I sorta made one out of wood.:) Brazillian cherry I think. It has a little bit of figure to it. :D

Really...it's nothing special, just a block of wood bored out on one end to fit the motor shaft and then bored on the other end to fit the buffing wheel shaft....then some set screws. Kinda hokey but it goes round and round.;) I'll take a picture of it when I get home tonight.

Andy Hoyt
05-02-2006, 9:31 AM
David - flop the wiring and it'll spin in the other direction

Sorry - that's as technical as I can get about sparky stuff, but it worked for me.

05-02-2006, 9:33 AM
...........Kinda hokey but it goes round and round.;)..... .....you do the Hokey Pokey and you spin and buff it out.........

John Hart
05-02-2006, 9:42 AM
.....you do the Hokey Pokey and you spin and buff it out.........

That's what it's all a-bout!:p

Michael Cody
05-02-2006, 9:49 AM
I agree that one is too slow.. me I use the Beall Buffing System (which you could make easily).. it's a #2MT adapter with a threaded arbort to hold buffing wheels and use you lathe to power it.. works good, takes up no space. I like it a lot and it's available about everywhere on the web so you could probably get it in Japan.. there is toy you can use the extra money saved on the Beaver lathe..

David Fried
05-02-2006, 9:50 AM
David - flop the wiring and it'll spin in the other direction

Sorry - that's as technical as I can get about sparky stuff, but it worked for me.

I thought of that. The tag on this motor states "Patented Jan. 24 1904". The two cloth covered wires run into a cover on the side. I removed the cover and found the wires attach directly to the brushes. Rather than flip wires, I just turned the plug around - same thing. No difference - darn AC. Still ran clockwise.

John Hart
05-02-2006, 9:58 AM
....The tag on this motor states "Patented Jan. 24 1904".....

Wow! That is too cool Dave! You just got to put that puppy to work somewhere.;)