PDA

View Full Version : JET Mini 1014 or 1014VS

Mike Leonard
08-28-2003, 6:12 PM
With JET'S current promotion on the Mini Lathe, the 1014 at $189.00 and the new 1014VS at $289.00, I am wondering if the variable speed is worth the extra $100.00 and the wait since they have not shipped yet? Would that $100 be better spent on tools/accessories? How often have you Mini Lathe owners wished for the ease of turning a knob versus doing a belt change?

I have not used a lathe and would appreciate any input here. I am definitely going to buy one and was all set to jump in at $189 but if the extra $$ are worth it I will jump on the 1014VS.

Although turning is new to me I realize the need for quality turning tools, sharpening system and all the other paraphernalia associated with this obvious addiction. I have no problem spending the extra $$$ as long as it is the biggest bang for the buck.

I respect the opinion of the folks here.
So what say ye? Spend the bucks on the 1014VS or accessories?

Ken Salisbury
08-28-2003, 6:19 PM
With JET'S current promotion on the Mini Lathe, the 1014 at $189.00 and the new 1014VS at $289.00, I am wondering if the variable speed is worth the extra $100.00 and the wait since they have not shipped yet? Would that $100 be better spent on tools/accessories? How often have you Mini Lathe owners wished for the ease of turning a knob versus doing a belt change?

I have not used a lathe and would appreciate any input here. I am definitely going to buy one and was all set to jump in at $189 but if the extra $$ are worth it I will jump on the 1014VS.

Although turning is new to me I realize the need for quality turning tools, sharpening system and all the other paraphernalia associated with this obvious addiction. I have no problem spending the extra $$$ as long as it is the biggest bang for the buck.

I respect the opinion of the folks here.
So what say ye? Spend the bucks on the 1014VS or accessories?

Mike,

I have a Jet Mini, and I love it. If a variable speed would have been available at the time I bought mine I would have spent the extra money. At the price GIS is asking for the VS Mini - it is almost a no brainer ( at least in my humble opinion ). What the heck "it's only money" :D

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-28-2003, 7:19 PM
I agree with Ken. I woulda gladly paid a Benji for variable speed.

KC

Scott Greaves
08-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Hi Mike,

Lets see - if there had been a variable speed Jet Mini when I bought mine, I would have spent the extra to get the VS. But there wasn't. If you never turn on a VS lathe, then you probably won't miss having it. But the convenience of being able to turn a little knob and adjust the speed is WONDERFUL! How do I know? Well, I spent six months and about $180 trying to convert my Jet Mini to VS, only to eventually buy a Oneway 1224. So you can probably guess my answer:

Get the Variable Speed!

Scott. :D

Bill Grumbine
08-30-2003, 6:37 PM
Hi Mike

How much is variable speed worth? I plunked down $750 to buy a Vicmarc mini with variable speed DC. I would love to have it for the price you can get, but I bought mine before the Jet mini came out at all. The plus side is, I've been using my Vicmarc since 1996.

Bill

Mike Leonard
08-31-2003, 7:43 AM
I stopped by my local JET dealer yesterday and put my name on the list for a new 1014VS. He says they should have them the second week of Sept. It sure was tempting to walk out the door with the regular 1014 and have instant gratification. I'm glad I restrained myself, an old Army buddy I haven't seen in years showed up and the only thing that got worked on was Bud Light and Single Malt Scotch.

Ken Salisbury
08-31-2003, 7:57 AM
I stopped by my local JET dealer yesterday and put my name on the list for a new 1014VS.

Mike - just curious - what price did you dealer quote you?

Mike Leonard
08-31-2003, 8:09 AM
Ken - $299.00

I talked with GIS last week and at $289.00 it is a heck of a deal but I figure S & H from Nashville to Virginia is going to be $20 - $30.

Ken Salisbury
08-31-2003, 8:27 AM
Ken - $299.00

I talked with GIS last week and at $289.00 it is a heck of a deal but I figure S & H from Nashville to Virginia is going to be $20 - $30.

Great Mike -- yes shipping from Nashville would be more than the difference. You are lucky you have a local Jet distributor handy. Just wanted to make sure you were getting the best price.

Mark Kauder
09-03-2003, 4:42 PM
One thing to remember, even with the variable speed, the slowest speed on the new 1014VS is still 500rpm. 500-3900 rpm.

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/JETGeneral/Manuals/Woodworking/Manuals/M-08351VS-JML1014VS.pdf

That said, and Ken Salisbury can attest, I am a big Jet fan. I would have bought the VS if it had been available when I bought mine. However, having used mine for fun and profit for the last 4 years, and knowing what I know now, I would not buy the VS over the conventional. I do not see that big advantage in VS when talking about Mini-Lathe type projects. Even though I work at the 10" limits of the mini all the time, I have never thought to myself, gee 500 is too slow and 750 is too fast, I wish I could do 625rpm. I have wished that I could do 100 or 200rpm when sanding and finishing.

Since the speed will not go lower then 500rpm, I see it as only a small time saver.

I would recommend buying the cheaper version.

Mark